Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Any tips for a new hunter???

Old 06-12-2007, 12:38 PM

Default Any tips for a new hunter???

I'm new to hunting, 24, and have tons to learn. I have the rare opportunity to go out to PA with my cousins for a day or two of lessons twice a year. Not much help when there so much more time left in the year. Any recommendations or suggestions that could help me in a hunt? Be it shooting (which i hit the range), or learning in general? thanks for the comments
Old 06-12-2007, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any tips for a new hunter???

just stay tuned into these forums and you will learn a ton
Old 06-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

welcome to the boards, the best advice i can do is practice, adn read as much as possible. theres alot of info in magazines and on this board.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:01 PM

Thanks. Since my cousins are not close and my immediate family is not thrilled about hunting, I'm treating the boards as my closest hunting family lol. Any good recommendations on field dressing equipment or tree stands? I'm pretty much loaded up as far as weapons and camo goes. It's the finer things now I want to take care of. Things that will make a hunt more successful and in the end more enjoyable.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:29 AM

practice makes perfict shooting evrey now and the never hurt no one and learning things from your cousins wont hurt either
Old 06-13-2007, 08:06 AM

ORIGINAL: liveoutdoors

Thanks. Since my cousins are not close and my immediate family is not thrilled about hunting, I'm treating the boards as my closest hunting family lol. Any good recommendations on field dressing equipment or tree stands? I'm pretty much loaded up as far as weapons and camo goes. It's the finer things now I want to take care of. Things that will make a hunt more successful and in the end more enjoyable.
You will need a good sharp knife and a small hand saw for cleanly cutting the pelvic bone is a good idea as well. I prefer non-folding knives, as they tend to be much sturdier and you do not run the risk of it closing up on your hand when field dressing. Some use gloves when field dressing, I don't but it is your choice, as you may not want to get real bloody and the CWD issue.
As far as tree stands? I have a fixed and climber, but also use permanent stands as well. I would suggest all three types, as all three have benefits and drawbacks. Pick one based how how you are planning to hunt and the terrain, such as trees available. There are many good hang-on tree stands and climbers. I really like my summit climber and would suggest it to anyone.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:26 AM

read some books or magazines
Old 06-13-2007, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

Just read as much as you can....get a scouting cameria youll have fun with that.
this may not be how everyone hunts but this is my game plan this year.
Pre-rut/early season-A buck spends 70% of his time in his bed....so find his bed.... to do this find his prefered food source and look for rubs around the food source. Follow the rubs back till you find a cluster of rubs in some thick stuff. this is proble his bed.. back off this about 50 yards and hunt it only in the afternoon(bucks ealry season are usally back to there bed longbeforedaylight) and only hunt it when the wind is right.. Not blowing into his bedroom.

Rut-ANYthing can happen. Be onstand all day the first 2 weeks of november. FInd something that Funnels down deer movent. Hunt the does find the does=find the bigboys. If u only had 2 weeks to get some tail ud be running around all day 2.Use ur scnets and Rattle this time of year,..plus us the can. I see u hut PA, i also hunt PA get high on the ridges bc the bucks will be crusing the ridges catching thermals that are blwing uphill.

Postrut/lateseason-Most of the food has been eaten. Find the food sourde now. The bigboys have lost alot wieght and need to replensish there fat supplies to make it threw the winter andthey know that. Hunt sunny ridges the big boy you hunted early season may or maynot be in the smae bed bc the food source changes.

This is my 2 cents and i really hoped this got you ont he right track....anymore ? dont hesitate to shoot me a PM. Im only 21 so where about the same age.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:34 PM

These all sound like great tips. Looks like you are in good hands.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

#1 thing to consider to me is where do you hunt? If you have some private land are you going to plant food plots then you need to get started clearing and limeing. Having a good vantage point to hunt with different wind directions should rank high on your list. A quality scope is a necessity.. Make a budget, and then triple it........

Quick Reply: Any tips for a new hunter???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.