Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Game Ear

Old 06-07-2007, 08:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Game Ear

After too many years of abusing my ears shooting about everything from a .22 to a 155mm my hearing, especially my left ear is about gone. Have any of you used a Game Ear or other similar product and with the muffs can you tune them so you can tell direction of sound? When I do hear something (and its rare) its aggravating to not be able to tell where the sound comes from.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Game Ear

I use the Walkers Game Ear, my hearing is not that great. I enjoy it more than I thought I would, you can hear a deer coming alot of times long before you can see him. Last year was my first year to use one. I am going to use it againthis year. My hearing is not real bad but I thought cricketshad died off til I got a Game Ear.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I began looking into this myself for deer and turkey hunting, and have been finding mixed reviews. Be sure to find out from people if direction can be discerned from the new quad muffs, not the older version with fewer microphones.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've been using the Walker's Game Ear II for about three years now and I must say it is an excellent product.
I use it every time now , for deer and turkey hunting I couldn't beleve my ear's the first time I tried it.
Now nothing goes by me with out me knowing it , I'm not kidding you guys when I tell you that I even heard a turtle walk by my stand.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

RDHunter, can you tell direction of sound, even with your eyes closed with the muffs?
Old 06-08-2007, 01:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

RDHunter, can you tell direction of sound, even with your eyes closed with the muffs?
The one I use sticks in your ear and yes I can tell which direction the sound is coming from.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I hear the deer coming from a distance I can determine direction, but if they come in behind me it is hard to tell direction.