Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer patched itself up!!!!

Old 01-16-2002, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer patched itself up!!!!

We had a guy knock down a big buck this season but it got up and ran. After letting the deer go for about 30 minutes the guy started to follow the blood trail. He saw spots where the deer stopped and the blood pooled up. He then saw a spot that had a pool of blood and holes in the dirt and leeves. An old guy in the club said that he was up a tree one day and saw a deer that was hit pick up dirt and leeves and put it in the hole. I did not know to believe it or not but the guy tracking this big deer said that after he saw the holes in the ground the blood then stopped and they did not find teh deer. Has anyone ever heard of this or it this guy just blowing smoke up our tails?
Old 01-16-2002, 11:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Deer patched itself up!!!!

Allen this guy is blowing smoke, a deer will stop bleeding sometimes, just like any animal or person, it could be due to clotting or it simply ran out of blood, if they run out of blood, they are real nearby!

The Tazman
Old 01-16-2002, 11:03 AM

I can't say I wasn't there but I think maybe the deer layed down in the dirt and it may of helped to clog the hole.I have heard that they try and study how a deer when wounded can have their blood clog so fast.I hear out of any animal they can heal as quick as any.Some hunters think a deer is smart enough to go to water to heal a wound when most times it is because of the fever from the infection or wound that brings them to water.
Old 01-16-2002, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

Use a 45-70 with 300 gr. JHP bullets and a deer can't stop the bleeding, not even with the tourniquet that some of them carry in their back pockets for gunshot wounds.
Old 01-16-2002, 01:02 PM

Actually, this is true. Deer, like bear, will roll in mud, dirt, and leaves after they are wounded. It will stop the external bleeding, but it won't stop the interanl bleeding. The deer will die, it will just require a LOT more tracking!

Good Luck This Season: Buck Magnet
P.S. Only Chuck Adams can sit at home and see deer so get into the woods. =;^)
Old 01-16-2002, 01:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've known them to lay in water after being shot. The ones in Pa all carry a red cross certified emergency first aid kit.
Old 01-16-2002, 02:04 PM
Spike

I got shot with a 12 guage slug in the back on opening day this year. It knocked me to the ground and I rolled in dirt and leaves and it didn't stop bleeding or anything else. That's a true story, but I do know deer will lay down in mud, water, or leaves after being wounded but I don't know for sure if that's an instinctive thing to try and help the wound or they just lay down where they feel safe.
Old 01-16-2002, 02:12 PM

I found a doe I shot, laying in our creek licking her wound. Personally, I think she headed there to comfort herself with the cold water.

Freedom Isn't Free....
Old 01-16-2002, 04:46 PM

CROWPECKER!!!!? WHAT THE HECK?!!??! EXPOUND ON THAT ONE!!!!
Old 01-16-2002, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can you repeat the question?

Quick Reply: Deer patched itself up!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.