Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What's the oldest buck you have killed or seen? >

What's the oldest buck you have killed or seen?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What's the oldest buck you have killed or seen?

Old 05-29-2007, 02:16 PM

Default What's the oldest buck you have killed or seen?

What's the oldest buck you have killed or seen? I am j/w what u guys have seen or shot the main reason i am starting this topic is to see if it is normal to be chasing a big 10-12 point for the last 8 years i haved for 2 years and have seen him and only had my shot gun,(he was about 200 yards away and i could not call him in) My dad has been hunting it for 8 years i guess his buddie shot it in the briskit and thats it everyne i have talked to that hunts in our area has said he has been to far or has been bedded down somewheres in a bunch of cover but things are gunna change this year i have a buck roar so i hope to score on this big buck this buck is proll 210LBS easily so if u guys have any tips or would like to share your storys then post them up thanks guys.

[/align]
Old 05-29-2007, 02:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What's the oldest buck you have killed or seen?

I don't know how much my story will help, but I killed my new "oldest" buck just last season. He was an estimated 7 1/2 years old. That's my estimate, I didn't get him out until after the check stations had closed down for the season. My brother got his buck that same day, which made it doubly special. 'Twas the next-to-the-last day of the season, and we were half-resigned to maybe not getting bucks at all, just really hoping one of us would score. His buck grossed 130 but was "only" 4 1/2. This was in Montana.

You're in NY, a continent away, so things may be different there. Still, I would seriously doubt that one buck would be "big" for eight years hand running. Assuming he was 3 1/2 years old eight years ago, you're talking about a buck that would have been 11 1/2 years old last season! IF he actually lived that long, his antlers shouldn't be that big any more. (My buck was only a 7 pointer grossing 113, and weighing approx. 210 lbs. on the hoof. He was extremely run down from the rut.)

I'd say you're talking about a different buck last season from the one of eight years ago. Possibly the buck you saw last year is son/grandson of the buck eight years ago.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:51 PM
Fork Horn

Back in 2001 I killed an 8 and 1/2 year old buck that dressed at 228lbs. The processor actually has a photo of the buck taken from a helicopter the previous summer in the same corner where I shot him. I actually looked at the photo and the processor told me it was taken in my back field and what corner it was in. That made it very helpful on where to set up. I scouted the field for two weeks until the wind was right and I actually saw him coming out of the same spot across the field almost every day. Unfortunatley, I noticed he had a sever limp. When the wind was finally right, I moved in and he came by broadside at 20 yards.I again noticed the severe limp and that the rack seemed really odd. I looked down and could see he had been hit by a car, probably earlier in the spring as it effected his rack, but his front right leg was broken and not being used at all. Double lung shot with my bow and he only went 40 yards. The leg was pretty busted up and had lost most of the muscle mass in the shoulder. I will try and post some pics. Wish I could have seen him before the car accident as it really effected his rack.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:54 PM

My head hurts from trying to make sense of that. From what I can gather, you're wondering if you've been seeing the same buck for 8 yrs? No, it's not the same buck.
ORIGINAL: Xx08NYHunter22xX

What's the oldest buck you have killed or seen? I am j/w what u guys have seen or shot the main reason i am starting this topic is to see if it is normal to be chasing a big 10-12 point for the last 8 years i haved for 2 years and have seen him and only had my shot gun,(he was about 200 yards away and i could not call him in) My dad has been hunting it for 8 years i guess his buddie shot it in the briskit and thats it everyne i have talked to that hunts in our area has said he has been to far or has been bedded down somewheres in a bunch of cover but things are gunna change this year i have a buck roar so i hope to score on this big buck this buck is proll 210LBS easily so if u guys have any tips or would like to share your storys then post them up thanks guys.

[/align]
Old 05-29-2007, 04:11 PM

so like said above it must be the son/grandson then? but why so big? In the bucks generation lines?

[/align]
Old 05-29-2007, 05:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

It is most likely a case where your hunting spot allows for a buck or two each year to reach an age that allows him to get big. The big bucks you are seeing are just older(although they too may have good genetics) which is why they are big.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Between 7 and 9 years old ...only had 4 teeth ... in Alberta

dd
Old 05-29-2007, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

dd
Doc,it's amazing that buck was able to eat enough to grow a rack with that kind of MASS, with just four teeth. You sure did him a favor!
Old 05-29-2007, 07:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

The oldest one I had shot had a pale looking rack that was 7 points. I do not know what the age was on him but, his rack had the main beam split down the middle and three points broken. It is believed that he went through the year without losing that rack. He had dressed out at 202 lbs. and was going on his down hill slide. Here after a deer reaches such an age they tend to lose weight once they start getting more age on them.

A friend of mine shot one that only had a couple of teeth left and was sporting 35 points. It was believed that he probally wouldn't have made it through another winter. It was shot back around the early 80s. He had him mounted and it was given to the Maine museum (sp). It is still there today if anyone ever gets to check it out. The deer weigh only aroung 170lbs. dressed due mainly because of his age that he had lost wieght from his prime time.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: early in

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

dd
Doc,it's amazing that buck was able to eat enough to grow a rack with that kind of MASS, with just four teeth. You sure did him a favor!
Early the amazing thing about this buck was not only the fact of its age ..the fact that it had only 4 teeth and the mass of its rack BUT it weighed in at 327lbs (on the hoof) and I killed it in the 4th week of the rut after running doe's for a month so Im sure it had run off a lot of weight ....just amazing when you put the whole package together.

dd

Quick Reply: What's the oldest buck you have killed or seen?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.