Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who is the better hunter?

Old 05-16-2007, 07:14 PM
bigcountry

Default Who is the better hunter?

Got to thinking. I sometimes brag to friends who hunt WV mountain deer. I show them nice 8's I kill while I have been living in MD. In Md, just about anybody can kill bucks. But I remember those times I hunted GW national forest in WV over a decade agoand if you killed a snaggly 4pt or 6pt, you was lucky. And two bucks all you can kill. And you were proud of them.

I hunted harder then. I really worked at it. Now, I find a strip of hedgerow and sit on it, and you are going to see deer. And probably alot of bucks. Marylanders don't realize how good they got it. Very nice limits. I kill 5-6 deer a year. The kills do not seem as sweet now. Hunting is still my life.

I see some on here show some fine deer. I do see some try to insinuate they are much better hunters due to they have better habitat.

Who's the better hunter? I realize hunters are competitive, and its important to them. I realize its about the feeling. I want that feeling back, where your so happy, you about cry when you see that arrow stick right where it should.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Who is the better hunter?

Must be getting sentimental over there or something.

Grab another tissue.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:48 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

Grab another tissue.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:27 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

Grab another tissue.
Just can't wait until bow season, Sept. 15 seems so long away.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Big I always judge how much of a trophy they are by where they came from. I killed a 130 inch 10 here with a bow in Wyoming County last year and I am more proud of a 100-110 inch 4.5 yr old 8 pointer I killed in 2004 on the last day of gun season. It will take a lot to ever top that deer..I hunted him the entire 2 weeks an got him the last evening. Killing a deer isnt so hard there but killing a nice buck is one helluva challenge.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

DO WHAT..... "Marylanders don't realize how good they got it" ...... where do u live in maryland... im bettin somewhere in region B .. where your allowed to kill 36 deer! ... come up to region A. DANS MOUNTAIN.. lets jus see how easy u find it to be!
Old 05-17-2007, 11:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL I was thinkin there was plenty of mountain hunting in MD as well...
Old 05-18-2007, 12:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

after readin my post i see where i came off as kinda a smartass.. sorry... kinda ticked me off with the marylanders statement... you jus have a better deer population than we do up here... i have a few buddies that go to pg county everyyear... an kill DANDYS.. kinda deer u jus dont see up in the mtns... u wanna hunt harder there plenty of mtns up here that could occupy your time... i dont think it about who is the better hunter (blind squirel finds a hunt every once in a while) but more rewarding in the amount of work that goes into takin a deer
Old 05-18-2007, 09:42 AM

I moved to MD 7 years ago and love it. I came from FL. Lived there my whole life. Try hunting down there. I managed to fill the freezer every year but, it wasn't easy.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

There were 4053 deer killed in Alleghany county (Dan's Mountain), 2428 bucks and 1625 does. There were 2805 deer killed in PG county, 970 bucks and 1835 does.

Check some of the other numbers, you might be surprised.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/gpar/gpdeer_table1.asp

Quick Reply: Who is the better hunter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.