Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Virtual scouting

Old 05-07-2007, 09:30 PM
Spike

Default Virtual scouting

My brother and I are going on our first deer hunt this fall. We're both 20-somethings who have been around guns all our lives, but never been hunting. We'll be after mule deer in the Sierras of N. California. We have a place to stay (his in-laws cabin) and are trying to figure out where in the area we're bound to have the best shot at bagging us a deer.

Currently we're using satellite photos and topo maps to help narrow things down, but as a novice, I'm not sure what I should be looking for. The area we're hunting is mostly wooded, but with some meadows and areas of scrub brush. It's very steep in some places and fairly flat in others. The elevation varies from about 6500' to 3500', and there are streams (some seasonal) all over the place.

My brother will be going up a couple of months before the season starts, but I need to try and narrow down the places he should be looking for signs of deer (poop, scrapes, etc.) We'll be hunting with rifles in October if that helps. I'm not asking for someone to tell me where to hunt, I just wanted to get an idea of the kind of terrain where we might have our best shot. Thanks for helping out a newbie.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Virtual scouting

I know nothing about the area that you will be hunting, just for starters look for areas with aconcentration of tracks. an feeding areas, watering holes an etc.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Get on a high hill with the best binoculars you can get.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

what zone or area in CA.......depending on this our best bet will be to start scouting for deer in august or july...get an idea of where the deer are hanging out...focus on water and food sources in that area (acorns for october).....when scouting find bedding areas (usually on the top of nulles or in very thick brush) and see where they travel (deer trails or paths blacktails / mulies in that ares will tend to follow same trails for traveleing).....if not too much hunting pressure meadows are a good place to start....walk around them on the edges and see where the deer trails lead....

good luck!!
Old 05-11-2007, 09:53 PM

id have to sya i agree
Old 05-13-2007, 09:14 AM
Spike

Thanks for the tips, guys. We'll be hunting zone D-3 up around Bucks Lake (assuming we don't get drawn for an X zone).