Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rattling tips

Old 12-20-2002, 05:08 AM

Default RE: Rattling tips

I rattled in a buck after rattling a half a dozen times in an hour and calling a bunch of times too. He liked the bleat think because he cruised in after the last 2 bleats. Hunting pressure may have an effect on rattling success. The older bucks may just be nocturnal or very cautious.
Old 12-20-2002, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

Rattling works just like anything else. Some people have success and some people don't. I personally have no success with the can or actually any call for that matter. That doesn't mean those calls don't work. Same goes for scent lures. I have people tell me all the time use Tinks, use Indian Buck Lure, use Still Steamin, etc. etc. etc. because it works wonders for them. Not one of them has brought in a darn thing for me. More than likely it means I have not mastered the skill of using those calls or scents. I have mastered the skill of rattling though and have had much success with it in an area with a very poor buck to doe ratio.

Like any other call....try it. If it works for you great. If it doesn't, move on to something else. There are no calls or lures that work great for all the deer all the time in all the different hunting areas.

MassBowhunterWhats Your Story?
Old 12-20-2002, 11:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

nodose, I am sorry I meant his reply stated he has had success..thus not a waste of time to him or his area.

I think Mass hit on the head, we all have found different things that work for us. I am also with him on the blind calling and doe bleat (or can) it has never mounted to a hill of beans for me. Rattling is by far my most productive lure. This year i tried some doe pee as well while rattling and bleating, the only deer I saw was rattling. I am not sure the scent worked or the rattling. I should add I think in some areas where the hunting pressure is high, that some of these techniques may not work as well. I think rattling is misconceived to be a real loud affair. Of the guys I have talked to who say they never had success, it seems they all do it the same way, loud, to few or often and never think to add some realism to the sequence. I came up with my technique by actually being witness to some fights in the wild, the real noise wasn't the horns, but the hoofs and grunting that went on in the battle and post battle. They actually approach each other tentatively, when the lock up it is gentle, and they tend to twist. Once the fight gets heated they spin, push and pull...hence the grinding/tickling and the rustling of leaves. When they break free one is running for the hills while the other is standing and looking for more...it's like a bar fight (the guy that get whipped leaves in a heap and licks his wounds, while the winner states he's the man). I shared this info, B/C it may be of interest, by no way do I expect you to use it or agree, but maybe it will help in some way.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive had some success rattling....sometimes i feel like it spooks them....just depends on the situation.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by atlasman
My suggestion to you would be to forget rattling all together.......it is a waste of time.

Unless you are in an area where the deer herd has a ratio of 1:1 or 1:2 buck to doe rattling is just background noise to them. You may on occasion peak a curious response from a buck but more then likely he is just checking it out and not looking to fight.

Bucks don't have to fight for does in most areas because the populations are so out of whack that they have 10 does each to have an orgy with if they want. Why fight when you can just keep walking and bag a doe around the next corner??

Grunts(soft) and a estrous bleat can are far more effective IMO due to being more natural sounds that the deer are used to and respond to more often.
YUP! Same in areas I hunt.