Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Moving Big Ladder Stands

Old 05-04-2007, 09:09 AM

Default Moving Big Ladder Stands

I've got a Big Game 2 Man Partner Stand that I used last year and loved. Very room and high enough up for concealment purposes.

But getting that thing up was an ordeal. It only weight 130 pounds and I was able to carry it well enough to the site by myself. But the problem comes when trying to raise it up against the tree. The problem lies within the majority of the weight residing at one end of the stand - the top. So I had my father and brother-in-law pushing it off the ground near the bottom of the stand toward the tree and myself behind the tree with tie on straps situated near the top of the stand, pulling as hard as I possibly could. We got it up but the top was wobbling all over and I could tell my in laws were a little concerned with everyone's safety.

Anyway, I want to move the stand this year about 100 yards and am wondering if anyone's had experience/tips to offer on making the processi of raising it up to the tree a little easier and safer? Thanks!
Old 05-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Moving Big Ladder Stands

The method I use employs equal parts muscle and ignorance.

I make ladder stands about 18 feet tall with 2x4s and plywood, etc. They are awkward and as you say, top heavy. I find it necessary to tie the bottom of the ladder to something handy nearby, such as a tree or log, to prevent the bottom of the ladder from "kicking out" as you raise the platform and and push it towards the tree. I suppose you could drive a stake and tie to that if there's nothing else handy. You want to tie to something about at the location where you want the bottom of the ladder to end up, don't get too close to the tree.

If it is a tree you can climb, I suppose you may be able to rig a line with a pulley or maybe a 2:1 block and tackle and use a 4 wheeler or vehicle to raise it by the top. You still may need to tie the bottom, depending on how you position it before raising.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Had a lot of trouble getting our two man ladder stand up by myself. Finally took the extension ladder, put it up and drilled a hole in the tree at about 21 feet. Screwed a hook in the tree, put a pulley on the hook, attached a line to the top of the stand and easily pulled it up with a rope. Now the hook is used to hang my rifle or crossbow on.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:47 AM

Thanks UncleNorby. This makes sense. If you lay the stand down with the top pointed awy from the tree and secured the bottom as you described. I'm wondering if you couldn't have two guys behind the tree pulling with secured straps to tip it up and a third guy jump in front asthe stand nears the tree to guide it on.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:51 AM

I think I must be about your size, about 5'3" and weigh around 130 (well I used to, it's diet time I think[&o]). I can't raise a normal ladder stand, let alone a two man stand. I am just not tall enough to get enough leverag to get it up. I always need someone to help me.

Paul
Old 05-04-2007, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I try not to move my ladders very often, but when I do move the big heavy stands, I try to use my tractor with a front end loader. It doesn't work in every situation, but it sure makes it easy when I can.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:01 AM

falcon, this makes a lot of sense too, if that hook was in there very securely!the main problem is that these stands are so top heavy that they're just awkward and dangerous to move. i was even thinking if I could get one section of the ladder underneath the top part and tip it up against the tree, then I could use a similar pully system to slowly pull it up and slip the other two sections under as she goes. I may even be able to pull the top part up with some rope myself if I secure an extenstion ladder to the other side of the tree.

Easier to get people to help you if you have a plan that doesn't involve a 50/50 chance of the stand crashing down on them.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, that's the idea.

I'm not a big guy, and I can set the stands I make by myself, if I get it right on the first or second try. With a helper or two it should be no probelm
Old 05-04-2007, 11:18 AM

Reads like a pain....I got two words for you, "climbing stand"
Old 05-04-2007, 11:22 AM

Red Lion, the comfort of the stand is worth the effort once you get er set up. I don't plan to move it much more often once I get it attached to the tree I should have set it up on in the first place.

Quick Reply: Moving Big Ladder Stands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.