Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Simple Question

Old 05-01-2007, 07:27 AM
Spike

Default Simple Question

Ok, This may seem like a stupid question to some people but I can not find the information elsewhere. I am fairly new to deer hunting (This will be my first season).

When counting points on a bucks rack, do you count the main beam as a point? Like if it is a six point it would be the two main beams and two points coming off of each main beam or do you only count the points coming off of the main beam? I have been trying to find this out but I can't find it anywhere. Thanks in advance for all of the answers to this nooby little question.

Also, what is the minimum length that a point can be? Or is there a minimum?
Old 05-01-2007, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Simple Question

Yes the main beam is counted as a point.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

We are all here to learn and help. Yes, you count the main beam plus any points coming off the main beam.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:33 AM
Spike

Thankyou, I appreciate the quick response.

I have been a waterfowl hunter all my life and finally decided to step up to the plate and hunt whitetail. I am joining a lease this year. Hopefully I can put this newly learned information to use this season!
Old 05-01-2007, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good Luck This Year! Hang around there is a lot of good information onall the differentforums here.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here is an article right here from our very own HNI. You'll find it helpful. Visit the main deer info page - there's lots of useful info.

http://www.huntingnet.com/staticpages/staticpage_detail.aspx?id=9
Old 05-01-2007, 07:42 AM
Spike

I'm sure I will stick around for quite some time. I haven't even sat in a stand yet and I am hooked. I picked up some DVD's over the weekend. I bought Drury Outdoors Whitetail Madness 06' and Primos The Truth 14. They have some great footage and alot can be learned in a short amount of time from watching these shows.

I made a couple of deer hunts when I was younger (back in my preteen days) but my hunts were limited as my father wasn't much into deer hunting. We were the duck hunters of the family. My uncle brought me with him a few times but when you are 12 sitting in a deer stand is boring. I am only 23 now so I have a long time to gain knowledge and understand the game. I have been doing alot of reading on this site and others. I really appreciate the help guys.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just remember your hunts are goingto be nothing like what you are going to see on those DVD's! Don't set yourself up for disappointment. I've shot a fewBIG bucks in my life but I was never really hunting them specifically.

I prefer assuring my freezer gets filled with a FAT doe first and fore most every season. Meat! Meat! Meat! (You can't eat antlers) And I like to do atleast 1 deer a year to Hunters For The Hungry to keep good karma around me.

Where you from and where are you gonna be doing this deer hunting HHII?

Old 05-01-2007, 11:28 AM
Spike

Yea, I have been around hunting long enough to understand that bagging a monster buck is a slim chance. Im not really getting into it just for the meat, or just for the racks. I am getting into it because I love being outdoors, I enjoy being around people that have the same interests as me and I love to hunt. Like I stated before I have been a duck hunter for quite some time and just decided to switch it up. Looked into deer hunting and talked to my father (Who is currently a member of the club I am joining.) and he has given me the fever.

I am from Marrero, Louisiana. (On the west bank of new orleans) and I am going to be hunting in a few different spots. The lease I am joining is right outside of Jena in LaSalle parish. We have 4,600 acres of timber company land. 30 members, so about 150 acres per hunter. I am also going to be doing a bit of hunting on some private property in Raceland, LAand will be joining a friend to make some hunts in south Mississppi. Hopefully luck shines on me and I atleast get to see some deer.

The deer population on the lease that I am joining is relatively low for that section of Louisiana but the guy that just recently (About 3 months ago) took over the lease seems like the type that wants a better herd of deer on the land. He seems like he is passionate about getting somehealthier deer to live on our land. He is planning to plant some massive food plots to help develop the health of the herd. We do have some deer living on the land but the food sources are spread so wide that the deer mostly just roam around looking for food. Hopefully we can overcome the illegal hunting problems and the hog population and get the land back under control.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:05 PM

That wasn't a dumb question at all. Better to ask than not to know. And there might 20 people out there that were wondering the same thing but didn't want to ask.

Paul

Quick Reply: Simple Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.