Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
If a mother doe is harvested....... >

If a mother doe is harvested.......

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

If a mother doe is harvested.......

Old 12-17-2002, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default If a mother doe is harvested.......

will and can the fawns hook up with other mature does?
Old 12-17-2002, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: If a mother doe is harvested.......

Yes they will. I've seen it happen a few times.

"Hey ya'll, watch this"
Old 12-17-2002, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

Thats cool. I took momma last night so I hope the little one can hook up with another group. I have feeders out, surely she can find the others at the feeder and follow them.
Old 12-17-2002, 07:37 PM

You know I read a study earlier this year that shows that in most cases, taking a fawn's mother usually improves its chance of survival. According to this study, this forces them to learn to take care of themselves. They are not so trusting and learn what sounds and things to avoid (i.e. hunters and other preditors). Therefore enabling it (if its a buck) to live healthier and sometimes longer. Dont worry yourself too much. You may have just done this lil one a favor, cruel as that may sound.

One Shot, One Kill
Hunting is the one sport where, if you are playing right, the other team doesn't even know you're in the game.
Old 12-17-2002, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

Ive read that if you take the mom, the male fawns will stay in the area rather than dispersing, mom isnt there to run them off.

Old 12-17-2002, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah, that mother of hers was dumber than a box of hammers. During bow season I let her and her two fawns walk about 5 times. She busted me bad one evening and 2 days later she comes right back in there and never even looks up at my stand. I moved to the back of my property and put a stand up and during modern gun I seen 3 deer coming out of a thicket back there. Well I shot the 1st one that stood still which I thought was a decent doe but it was a button buck. Well I figured it out that these deer were the doe and two fawns. The fawns had done some growing. Well 3 weeks later she brings the other fawn right back through there again so I busted her.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:32 AM

It is true that if the doe's babe is a buck she eventually run him away. They will hook up with other deer, deer are a social animal and one way that they survive is to stay together.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Typically, yes, they will find another mother to act as a surrogate/step mom, but usually it isn't a big issue, unless you're hunting a REALLY early season. Usually by the time seasons open, the fawns are pretty much taking care of themselves, just hanging around for security, kinda like we live with our parents from when we turn 14-18 or longer for some, when we're pretty much capable of fending for ourselves, but living at home makes it just that much easier. I do agree that it kinda helps them too, by putting the fear of man into them at a young age. If their mother gets shot, they get a real experience with man, they're probably sitting around somewhere watching what happens to her. Once, I drove for a buddy, he got a mama, and the fawn laid down beside the dead body until we got too close, then it watched us the whole time. That actual experience with man makes them more afraid of us than hearing a shot would, in a way, it makes them paranoid.

Yes, does do eventually run their sons off, because they don't want to breed them, so if they don't want to be in the same territory.

Screw the 10 ring, keep them in the zero!!!
Old 12-18-2002, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

november 23 i shot i big a$$ doe then a lil button buck and a little doe came out and stood next to the doe for a couple of min then left ever since that i see that doe and that button buck every time i get in the stand hopefully that button buck will keep comin back for years t come so i can take him when he gets a nice big mature deer

100%REDNECK
Old 12-19-2002, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

No problem if you shoot the doe.

Quick Reply: If a mother doe is harvested.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.