Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Railroad/Train affect on Deer in the area? >

Railroad/Train affect on Deer in the area?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Railroad/Train affect on Deer in the area?

Old 05-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Railroad/Train affect on Deer in the area?

I don't think, in general, that trains bother deer that much. This season past I watched a 2 1/2 y.o. buck cross a train! Not the track, the actual train!

They had parked a bunch of flatcars on a stretch of track, left them there several days. I watched that buck gingerly approach the train, then poke along until he found a place he was comfortable with, then crawl down under the train and come out the other side. One of my favorite offbeat moments of the season.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:59 PM

The train, and tracks don't bother deer a slice. It's the guys who ride up and down the tracks all day on 4 wheelers that scare the deer.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:04 PM

doesnt effect them at all they addapt to it and when a train comes they dont evenpay attention to it
Old 05-29-2007, 04:23 PM

I am a locomotive engineer for CSX RR and in my opinion the trains do not effect deer and there movement at all. I run a Train between Bruceton TN and Memphis TN approximately 150 miles and every trip I will see Deer bedded down along side the tracks. Most of the time they don't even look at the train coming through. The only time they run is when they a standing in or close to the tracks. I see mature bucks all the time as we travel through some very remote river bottoms and they just stand there and look at us. I have seen deer crawl under and jump between box cars while we where stopped in a side track waiting to meet a train travelling in the opposite direction. I have even senn them cross within 15 feet in front of the train when stopped in a siding with the engines running and never pay much attention. You can use the tracks to you're advantage as the will travel along them and use there bridges to cross rivers and streams there is one area in the bottom where the cross the Hatchie River that looks like a Buffallo trail coming up the side of the ballast (rock) to get on the bridge to cross.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:15 AM

I used to hunt on an old rr tressel in Westoff Texas...It was very productive and one beautiful spot....ill always remeber that place
Old 06-03-2007, 11:21 AM

TN Deer Hunter:

Now thats a nice deer catcher. How many ya get a year?
Old 06-03-2007, 12:12 PM

A few but it kinda makes a mess it kill em guarter em and skin em all in one
Old 06-04-2007, 10:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Find a great place close to the tracks, and slip into your stand while the train is passing through. As long as you are down wind, the deer will never know you snuck in.

C. Davis