Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mock Scraps

Old 04-25-2007, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default Mock Scraps

I recently purchased a farm close to my home and will be able to get out to it frequently. I'd like to try and make some mock scraps this year around some of my stand locations. I was wondering if anyone had some advice for me...i.e.- How often should I check on the scrap? Do I need to purchase a drip bag and hang it above the scrap? Is this even an effective tool for hunting or does it put to much of my scent in an area? How successful are they? Should I do more than one in a small area? Really any advice would be great!!!! Thanks in advance!
Old 04-25-2007, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mock Scraps

My buddy swears by them, he hangs a dripper over it and hunts it in the mornings. I have tried but havent had any luck myself but have seen the deer he takes so i guess it has to work sometimes. good luck.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:12 AM

when making one use rubber boots and gloves. my sucsess veries some times it work sometimes it doesn't
Old 04-28-2007, 08:42 AM
Dominant Buck

It can't hurt and like has been said use rubber boots and a dripper will add to the effect.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

i have used mock scrapes very effectively for several years. Tried the commercial drippers and found that they use too much pee. i make my own drippers with a film canrill a small hole in the bottom, fill it with cottonballs and then pour in a mixture of doein heat and buck in rut pee.Hang it up over the scrape. It drips a few drops per day and keeps the big ones coming back.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks falcon,

May try that. What size drill bit so I don't have to go by trial and error and
smell like doe pee?
Old 04-29-2007, 09:13 PM

try out this product...they are relatively cheap and come with scent...good instructions from their site. And number 1 thing is to be scent free when you go in and do make the scrape!!
http://scrapemaker.com/scrapemaker.htm

DeerHuntMO
Old 04-30-2007, 05:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Are mock scraps like fake peices of scrap meat????? Some people have to lean how to use SPELL CHECK. Its "SCRAPES"
Old 04-30-2007, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

This message posting system has spell check? I must have version 1.0.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:18 PM
Spike

A dripper works great during the season to make the deer think the scrape is being freshened during hunting hours. You're best off starting your scrapes in the pre-season though and I wouldn't bother with a dripper at that point. Buck Fever Synthetics makes a scent called Pre/Post Rut. I think it's the best stuff to start a scrape with because it doesn't include any rut scent and it lasts a long time. Around here in Northern Illinois, I'd start using the dripper with buck scent in it about mid-October and at the end of October or the first part of November I'd start using doe in heat scents.

Quick Reply: Mock Scraps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.