Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

HELP!!!!

Old 04-23-2007, 04:50 PM

Default HELP!!!!

I have ordered a cva buckhorn 209 magnum blackpowder rifle, and I want to put a scope on it. I have a scope and all I need is mounts. But that aint my problem. My dad said that all scopes will not work on a muzzleloader. Can you all help me? Thanks
Old 04-23-2007, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: HELP!!!!

Your best bet is to put a scope on made for either a muzzleloader or shotgun. I'm no expert but I don't think a rifle scope will stand up to the recoil. Maybe someone else with more experience will chime in. I have scopes on my shotgun and muzzleloader but they are made for them.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

DO NOT USE A SIMMONS ANYTHING other than that I got nothing. Im gonna try out a burris fullfield 2 next season so Ill see how that works out. If you decide on a cheap scope expect cheap results as those mls pack one heck of a punchthat not all scopes can handle
Old 04-24-2007, 06:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Go with a red dot/green dot, you cant go wrong.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think you need a "special scope" for blackpowder, although I agree that you should not put a cheap or
rimfire scope on one. I think that scopes for shotguns and muzzleloaders
are not necessarily designed to handle
more shock, but instead have different parallaxes (75yds.), different magnifications (2x7), and different reticles.

Some of it seems like marketing to me, and I don't think you can go wrong with a basic 2X7 or 3x9 from one of
the better brands like Nikon, Leupold, Burris, Weaver, etc.

I put a basic Nikon Pro-Staff 3x9x40 ($150) on my ML and I haven't had any problems.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BuckRogers

DO NOT USE A SIMMONS ANYTHING other than that I got nothing. Im gonna try out a burris fullfield 2 next season so Ill see how that works out. If you decide on a cheap scope expect cheap results as those mls pack one heck of a punchthat not all scopes can handle
Heck even with that you got nothing.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

You want a scope specifically for a muzzy or shotgun. The duration that recoil is produced byshotguns and muzzys is quite different than what rifles deliver.

Some rifle scopes last a while, some go quickly, some gothe first shot.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Also check your muzzle loader regualtions for your state, in Wi we can not use a magnified scope on a muzzle loader during muzzle loader season.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Uncle Matt,

On a few of the shotgun models like Leupold there is no mention that the scope has been designed to handle more shock.

Just from what my shoulder tells me, I think a 300 WSM, 300 Weatherby, or even 7mm mag kick as much or more
than most 12 guage shotguns or muzzleloaders (I only shoot 100 grains though).

I believe that a quality scope can withstand the abuse of large magnum calibers, ML or shotgun without being specifically designed for ML of shotgun. The Nikon Pro-Staff is half the price of their "muzzleloader" scope and for me it was not worth the extra money for the muzzleloader.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:22 AM
Spike

You need a special scope for a muzzleloader or shotgun because of the eye relief built into the scope. Most rifle scopes have around 2.5-3 inches of eye relief(distance your eye sits with the field of view totally open looking through the scope) With a black powder you need a scope that has around 4-5 inches of relief. Otherwise you may end up with a big scar on your face.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.