Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 TREE STANDS - Let's hear your safety tips. >

TREE STANDS - Let's hear your safety tips.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

TREE STANDS - Let's hear your safety tips.

Old 04-17-2007, 03:30 PM

Default RE: TREE STANDS - Let's hear your safety tips.

May not be totally related to tree stands, buthow I am safer is I only use ladder stands. I about fell out of a hang on tree stand when I first started using them trying to put on a safety harness! After that year I switched to ladder stands and try to only use the ones with the side rails on them. Not a sure bet, and I lose mobility, but I feel alot safer in them.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:55 PM
Fork Horn

Since the most likely time to fall out of your stand is when you are climbing in or out, I think one of the most important saftety features is to actually be attached to your safety belt at all times.

Last year I began using the Fall Guy system and I like it alot. Wish they would make the belt longer though.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:53 AM

Always make sure you control your gun or bow. For a long time people recommended using a haul line to raise and lower your gun, but that didn't secure the gun while you were hunting. We recommend using a Gunslinger, which secures your gun or bow through the entire tree stand hunting process. The product was profiled in the May 2007 issue of Shooting Illustrated. Or you can see it here: http://www.git-a-gunslinger.com.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:32 AM

DON'T FALL A SLEEP IN YOUR STAND FOUND MY BUDDY HANGING FROM HIS HARNESS HE COULDN'T GET BACK IN HIS STAND, SO I HAD TO TAKE SOME PICS AND THROW A FEW WALNUTS AT HIM HEHEHE
Old 04-18-2007, 09:17 AM

ORIGINAL: TROPHYHUNTER25

DON'T FALL A SLEEP IN YOUR STAND FOUND MY BUDDY HANGING FROM HIS HARNESS HE COULDN'T GET BACK IN HIS STAND, SO I HAD TO TAKE SOME PICS AND THROW A FEW WALNUTS AT HIM HEHEHE
Where are the picts? Or did he pay you for them?
Old 04-18-2007, 11:44 PM
Fork Horn

some good pointers, but in reality all that is needed is a little common sense
Old 11-19-2009, 02:45 AM
Spike

Default Deer Stands

Rules:

1. Always check your stands to make sure they are sturdy
2. Check the area below your stand to make sure if you do take a fall you dont land on something that could hurt you
Old 11-19-2009, 02:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Be sure to attach upper climber to the lower climber sections. The bottom can slip off your feet and fall down the tree leaving you sitting on the top.

But the best tip I've read so far is don't pee on your ladder or tree steps, it will surely freeze and cause a slip hazard. LOL!
Old 11-19-2009, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have a means for descending the tree in case you can't get back in the stand. Some people carry a couple screw in tree steps. I bought the tree descender from Summit:

http://www.summitstands.com/productd...aspx?id=329145

Much nicer to carry than tree steps.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:34 AM
Fork Horn

Inspect all parts of the climbers at home, put on safety harness at truck, assemble the climber, and hook up.
I'm tense throughout the entire climbing, anchor, removal, and descent of the climber. Find trees with soft bark, and avoid too small or too large trees. Lookout for widow maker limbs, rocks, or other potential impalers below. Check the weather, and do not use them in heavy wind, snow, ice, or freezing rain.

Quick Reply: TREE STANDS - Let's hear your safety tips.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.