Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Japanese Honeysuckle

Old 04-09-2007, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default Japanese Honeysuckle

I have the option of planting Japanese Honeysuckle. Some people reccommend it since it is one of the top nutritional plants for deer. Others, including the government, adivse against it since it is an intrussive plant. I don't mind introducing a prime deer feeding plant, but not if it will start killing trees. Does anybody know how bad this stuff is? I want to improve the deer feeding conditions in my woods, but not turn it into a thousand acre food plot. Should I plant it, Yes or No?
Old 04-09-2007, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Japanese Honeysuckle

Google it and you will find a mountain of information. We have some on our farm but we put it in isolated wind breaks and around old overgrown structures and farm equipment. We were concerned with the same thing so we kept it away from any area with oaks or persimmon trees and other stuff like that. Our local forestry guy recommended several kinds of berries and wild grapes that the animals love that may be a better choice, you may want to check with your local Dept. of Game and see if they have any recommendations.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Japanese Honeysuckle

Its common in the woods throughout the south and deer absolutely love it. I don't remember honeysuckle being aproblem as a killer of trees. I have a hard time calling it an invasive plant. I would recommend making some 50 or so foot hogwire fences and planting it so it runs on the fence. I have about 300 feet of the stuff in the back yard on fences that during the winter time has a consistent 4 1/2 foot browse lineon it.