Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Lever, Bolt, Pump, or Semi for deer. >

Lever, Bolt, Pump, or Semi for deer.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Lever, Bolt, Pump, or Semi for deer.

Old 01-15-2002, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lever, Bolt, Pump, or Semi for deer.

I like a bolt action ,but I own bolts ,levers ,pumps and semi-autos .When I was a kid my Dad was always getting after me for shooting to fast , so I went to a bolt action to slow myself down .I found out that you don't have to shoot everything twice before it falls down . Now I very seldom shoot over once so a bolt works great for me .
Old 01-15-2002, 10:25 PM

DeerTrack, said it for me.I am also left handed so I have always shot a pump.
Old 01-15-2002, 10:45 PM

"Cheating the deer" Oh my, you must have really worked hard to come up with that one. I love my semi and for anyone intelligent enough to learn how to properly clean their firearm jamming is not a problem. I am in and will always be in the minority here, must be the non conformist in me. I don't take the derogatory comments toward semis personally and I hope you guys don't take what I'm about to say personally ( and if you do I don't care) but it seems that you're being a little elitist here with your comments but hell, we're all turds in the punch bowl as far as bow hunters are concerned.
It's a simple undeniable fact, Remington, Browning, etc., all make a high qaulity semi auto and your bias is misplaced. To you that say one shot is all it takes, you are either
not being honest or haven't hunted enough to have the experiences where a 2nd and sometimes 3rd shot is necassary. My biggest deer to date was a big 'ol swamp buck that I hammered, he fell to the ground thrashing, without moving either hand from the firing position I looked over the scope and in the next second he was up and started to run when the 2nd shot put him down for good. If he would have made it 30 yrds in any direction he would have been in 2 1/2 - 3 feet of water and probally never recovered. Yea, I think I'll keep using my semi, it's only killed 40+ deer so far.
Regards to accuracy, I will concede the ultra long shots to the bolt action but anything out to 200 yrds is just as dead with my semi as your bolt.
Canadahunter, you seem to be the voice of reason, thanks.

Mark in SC
Old 01-16-2002, 12:15 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-16-2002, 12:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I`ll go along with timbercruiser on this one.
Old 01-16-2002, 03:56 AM

I uase my bolt most of the time.I have a semi a carry a couple of times a season.
Old 01-16-2002, 04:20 AM

I'm with Rem7400--I use a semi (Remington 742) and I love it. We rarely get shots over 50 yards. Of the guys in my camp, they all shoot either Remington semiautos or Remington pumps.
Old 01-16-2002, 04:59 AM

I agree, it's the shooter and shot placement. If you can't handle your gun it doesn't matter what it is. I love shooting all actions, however my tastes change. I prefer to hunt w/ single shots, not for any reason other than I like them. I love the way a good bolt gun feels and handles and I hunt with them also. Now when it comes to lever guns, I just think they are a hoot and I have to go into the woods with one occasionally because they are just cool. I own several semi's but I just don't enjoy them as much as the others but they have earned their place in the woods. I know a couple of guys that hunt with them and they work just as hard at finding deer as I do.
I get really tired of hunters sounding like the anti's over choice of tools. It is not the tools, it is how you conduct yourself in the woods.

SOTHRDNK
Old 01-16-2002, 05:12 AM

Bolt action.
Old 01-16-2002, 05:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well I learned to hunt with a single shot rifle because according to my father shot placement is key and you have to make the first shot count, it keeps you from taking sloppy first shots. He was right, there have been very, very few times I have needed a second shot and never have needed a third. I am not saying you should only use a single shot, I don't, as a matter of fact the second gun my dad bought me was a bolt action. He bought that after I had proven that I made the first shot count. I let more than one walk due to not being sure of the first shot.

The gun I prefer depends on the situation, for rifle hunting in brush or areas where all my shots are going to be under 125 yards I prefer a lever action with iron sights (due to the peepers getting weak I am thinking about a scope though), for bird (shotgun) I use a semi, if I hunted a place where most of my shots were over 125 yards I would use a bolt action. Every gun has its place.

The Tazman

Quick Reply: Lever, Bolt, Pump, or Semi for deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.