" />

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bucks bedding area???

Old 03-29-2007, 07:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bucks bedding area???

How would guys find a bucks prefered bedding area/ what indacates it? Im having some problems find them bc i hunt just woods with a powerline here and there?? thanks
Old 03-29-2007, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bucks bedding area???

Bucks typically like to hang out in the really thick stuff. For me its easy because I hunt a farm that is pretty much all grass and grain fields. The bucks bed down somwhere in one of the patches of 6 foot tall gnarly as all get out switchgrass. The best way to figure out where they bed down is to do some serious scouting.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like BuckRogers said the dense cover is a good place to start looking especially if you don't have a lot of it where you are hunting. Look for small areas of cover where choices of cover are limited for bedding.

Look for islands oftall weeds andbrushasyou walkback trails coming fromwhere the deer are feeding.Springis a good time to look because if you spook any deer they have the summer to recover from your intrusion on their area.

Make sure to go scentless andnot to bother anything. It comes down toyou have to do alot of scouting.

Many people miss opportunities because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would look onthe powerline, ponds, creek crossings an etc.Try to find the biggest tracksthat look the heaviest, locate food sources near the thickest cover. Then if you can find old rubs in the area, you arein the ball park.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

ok i have found the rubs and the food sources no problem but the thing is that i live here on the cape and its all scrub oak which is relaly thick so HOW DO I TELL WHERE THERE BEDDING exactly?? like a bunch of rubs or something??? thanks
Old 03-29-2007, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I find that a lot of times that bucks make rubs an scrapes in the area that does frequent the most during or close to the rut. Thedoes hangout where the food sourcesare at when they are feeding. They stay on the side of ridges, hills, grown up fields an in the thick stuff when they are bedding. I do not find it neccessary to get in a bucks bedroom to locate them just go to the does or theirfeeding area just be sure to be there when they are there. Deer also like the path of least resistance when traveling from one area to another, just my thoughts.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I find that bucks leave scrapes an rubs in the area where the does frequent the most. The does feed where the food sources are at whenthe fall season comes around. The does bed on hill sides, ridges, thickets, an grown up fields. The bucks want be far away, you just need to be there when the does are feeding the bucks will be there soon. I do not feel it isneeded to get in the bucks bedroom, just get close, to where the does areat at the feeding time. Just my thoughts, mature bucks do not like pressure.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:00 PM
Typical Buck

they like the most unlikely places. my dad showed me how they will bed in a little island of bush in the middle of an empty field. We've done drives in such places and these little pieces of bush have been pretty productive. they also like to bed in thick stuff and on hills where they can see.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Look for rub lines coming out of real thick area's.or clusters of rubs bordering real thick area's.Look for large isolated beds,measure them for reference if you have to.If you put in enough shoe leather you will be rewarded.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:13 AM

they will bed where they feel secure. might be a bean field might be a swamp

Quick Reply: Bucks bedding area???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.