Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 The Whitetail Hunter's Ultimate IQ Test >

The Whitetail Hunter's Ultimate IQ Test

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The Whitetail Hunter's Ultimate IQ Test

Old 03-28-2007, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The Whitetail Hunter's Ultimate IQ Test

Check out your Deer IQ:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/hunting/photogallery/article/0,13355,1539471,00.html
Old 03-29-2007, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The Whitetail Hunter's Ultimate IQ Test

I was kind of shocked at a few of the "correct" answers, especially in the rifle hunting section. Here are a couple of the questions that I got wrong with the "correct" answer provided.

The buck of a lifetime is 350 yards away, sneaking across a winter wheatfield. You have never taken a shot this long before, but you know that your .30/06 is sighted in 3 inches high with 180-grain bullets, and that they drop 5 inches below the line of sight at 300 yards. You should:

C. Hold right on the top of the buck’s back, with the crosshairs still “in the fur,” pray, and squeeze the trigger

In my opinion any shot that you have never taken before and involves the need to pray is not a shot that should be taken.

Here was another one:

You’re following a very fresh buck track in soft snow when you raise your eyes and see a buck 50 yards ahead, walking directly away from you. In another half dozen steps, it will vanish into the trees. Your rifle is in your hands, and you guess you have two to three seconds in which to get the shot off. You should:

B. Try for a hit directly in the back of the neck
Both of those questions had an option to pass up the shot and I selected that answer both times but I was wrong. [&:]
Old 03-29-2007, 09:37 AM

i didnt even make it to the 16th question!!!

npaden,
to pass up shots like you mension only a truehunter would do so. i passed up numerous shots on bucks last yearbecause there 40 yards away and not in my kill range of 25 yards.
i passed on a monster 8 pointer last year becuase the wouldnt stop. i drew my bowhe was in my range, but he wouldnt stop walking, finally i gave a "baaa" sound and instead of the buck stopping and looking up at me he started to walk faster than he ran. i could of released an arrow while he was walking, but im ethical and pass up shots like those. thats what makes me hunt harder, knowing i was that close and couldnt seal the deal.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:04 AM

I stopped messing aournd with "IQ" tests like those. It seems everytime I do one I feel dumber for having taken it.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I learned some new stuff myself when taking it.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Now I know why I don't read Field and Stream.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I did learn some stuff on some of the rut information also.

I'm not going to say that I would for sure pass on the buck of a lifetime in the 1st scenario, but I don't think it should be the correct answer to throw out a shot on a prayer. In my experience, MOST of the time that you pass on a difficult shot and don't give yourself away, you can manuver into a more desirable position and have a better chance at actually taking the animal you were after than you would have if you tried to take the miracle shot in the first place. That was actually an option presented on that 2nd question but it wasn't the "correct" answer. [&:]
Old 03-29-2007, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Didn't do to bad got a 110 but there were some questions that were really wrong for the real world, in my opinion, and some of the awnser didn't make much sence.

Thanks for the TO

Thanks, Nick Bh818
Old 03-29-2007, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I learned some stuff,too, I see nothingwrong withthe 350 yards "pray" shot, if you know the ballistics of your gun,and if you canhold your crosshairs pretty steady, youhave a good a chance as anyone.

You don't win unless you take a risk, as for the neck shot, there's nothing unethical about it,the only problem I see would be if it's a trophy and you want to mount it. The shockwave of the bullet will break his neck.

Maybe you were just offended by the fact that they didn't pick the TEXAS Brain shot.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:00 PM

i wont take a shot, if i know i have to get lucky to get a vital hit.

i have never had to track a deer and hope i never will.

why have i never had to track a deer?? becuase i dont take stupid hail mary shots!!!

respect the animal you kill.

hunting is now about getting a big buck. its about getting a quick clean kill.

and the eating is not bad!!!!!

Quick Reply: The Whitetail Hunter's Ultimate IQ Test

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.