Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Deer hoists for use with my truck >

Deer hoists for use with my truck

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer hoists for use with my truck

Old 03-26-2007, 08:20 AM

Default Deer hoists for use with my truck

I likely will end up hunting alone on state land during rifle season this year, as my wife has a little bun in the oven that is due the second week of October, so will have to stay close to home. Heres my situation. I use my truck, a 1988 ford F250 when hunting alone, but it has some large tires on it and the box is fairly high up. I am thinking that I may not be able to load a deer of any good size myself, so was wondering if anyone knew of any decent hoist-like devices that I could use to load a deer in my truck on my own, but nothing too large and expensive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Deer hoists for use with my truck

The good old, tried & true piece of plywood with some 2X4 braces usually do pretty well.

Or maybe a ramp or ramps for loading ATVs or lawn tractors?

Or if there is a berm or small hill around; you can drag your deer to the top of it and back your truck close with the tailgate down and load it that way.

And then there are other true hoist-type devices around.....

ebay has...................

http://cgi.ebay.com/Central-1-2-TON-CAPACITY-PICKUP-TRUCK-CRANE-1647_W0QQitemZ250096687792QQcategoryZ11704QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rand-Davit-Pickup-Truck-Bed-Crane-Lift-Hoist-PWC-Dock_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ63697QQitemZ150103 991646QQrdZ1

For heavier use, might be handy for other lifts............
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000LB-Swivel-Lift-Hoist-Truck-PickUp-Crane-Davit-1TON_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ63697QQitemZ270102 074190QQrdZ1

this looks like a good deal for a kinda heavy-duty lift.......
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HYDRAULIC-PICK-UP-TRUCK-CRANE-LIFT-HOIST-TRUCK_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ63697QQitemZ12010 0994357QQrdZ1

And then if you want to load a little bigger game or a dozen deer at a time, you could trade the Ford in for.....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-GMC-4X4-CRANE-TRUCK_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ63739QQitemZ33010 1154086QQrdZ1
Old 03-26-2007, 08:49 AM

Yeah I suppose I could put together a ramp to drag a critter up. I guess I was hoping that there may be some type of hoist I was unaware of that would be fairly effective. Thanks for the response.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

I believe that Cabelas has one that slips into a reciever hitch. I made one like that for my Jeep Wagon so I can hoist them up to skin them. I put a reciever on the back and one on the grill guard on the front to I can use it on either end. Its made from square tubing and I have a small boat winch on it.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lion a friend of mine made one out of 2X4s and a boad rollerer up thing. Just mounted the 2X4s so they sit in the openings on the truck and puts the strap over the cross board. wraps it around the deer cranks it up locks the hoist and swings it in works pretty easy.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

First off...Congrats!!!! Is this your 1st??? Exciting times ahead for sure....I kinda thought you were older than that, I'm through with having kids myself, 3 daughters is all I can afford...

Here is what I have done in the past...Go to Lowes hardware and buy a ratchet pully (the 250 pound one)...Replace the 3/8 rope that comes with it with 20-25 feet of 3/8 rope....With the shorter (6-8 foot) rope that comes with the pulley, tie this one to a tree limb, leaving a loop....Hook the ratchet pulley to that rope and tie the back legs of the deer to the longer rope...Now either pull the deer up with your truck or you can tie the end of the longer rope to a tree and walk on the rope, pulling the deer up...Then back your truck under the deer and let the pulley down, unloading the deer into the bed of the truck....

Or you can do what I usually do....Just kill smaller deer!!!
Old 03-26-2007, 10:33 AM

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

First off...Congrats!!!! Is this your 1st??? Exciting times ahead for sure....I kinda thought you were older than that, I'm through with having kids myself, 3 daughters is all I can afford...

Here is what I have done in the past...Go to Lowes hardware and buy a ratchet pully (the 250 pound one)...Replace the 3/8 rope that comes with it with 20-25 feet of 3/8 rope....With the shorter (6-8 foot) rope that comes with the pulley, tie this one to a tree limb, leaving a loop....Hook the ratchet pulley to that rope and tie the back legs of the deer to the longer rope...Now either pull the deer up with your truck or you can tie the end of the longer rope to a tree and walk on the rope, pulling the deer up...Then back your truck under the deer and let the pulley down, unloading the deer into the bed of the truck....

Or you can do what I usually do....Just kill smaller deer!!!
Thanks for the suggestion and for the new one on the way.The baby will be our second child, as we have a daughter going on two years old. I/we gota late start on kids, due to the military and college. Thanks again.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:58 AM

I built a false floor in the truck bed with a slide out ramp under the false floor so you can load a deer or quad up then still slide the ramp under. Should be able to pull a deer up by hand with that ramp but if not i also have a winch mounted. I have a bar of box iron running across the box at the front bolted down with a winch bolted to the iron in the middle. Its a hand winch but still don't take long to load up an elk.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Along with the others (2x4's and stuff) a come-a-long could be useful, and for more than just hunting too.

Good luck,

KP
Old 03-26-2007, 11:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Something I have done on larger deer when I'm by myself is to back my truck up close to the deer, then pull forward leaving the tire track marks. Dig a couple of holes in the track and back up into them, then take the tailgate braces loose so the tailgate lets down. It makes it a lot easier to pull him in.

Quick Reply: Deer hoists for use with my truck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.