Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Other Hunters a big concern

Old 03-18-2007, 09:10 PM

Default Other Hunters a big concern

I am just getting back into hunting in the last year.
I make sure to do all the summer scouting and such (in fact I spend days doing it).

But I always have this HUGE self-consience concern that almost ruins my hunting, here it is:

I am always worried that I am going to go out into the woods (I hunt public land) and end up walking into the area ofsomeone's deer stand or Turkey blind and ruin their work and scouting.

How do you handle this, avoid this? Or what has been people's experience when you find yourself in an area someone got tofirst? Do folks get upset and mad?

I know for experienced hunters this may seem silly but It really concerns me that I may walk up on someone elses stand/blind/area. (BTW in my state Hunter orange is not a requirement, exspecially for Turkey and bow season, so it is hard to see folks ahead of time)

thanks
Old 03-19-2007, 03:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Other Hunters a big concern

Just be polite and move on, nothing else you can do. Be polite to others that walk up on you too.

If this is heavily hunted areas wearing a little orange yourself would obviously be a good idea.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:00 AM
Fork Horn

Very well said tom the only thing you can do is apoligize for intruding and find different routes to where you want to hunt find a nasty part where other hunters wont hunt but i garentee there will be deer there. Kinda like a 76 acre farm i hunt, me and me only have permission to hunt it and i took a big buck first week of deer bow season with the corn still on and up. After getting out of the edge of with my deer i wouldnt hunt this field again till the corn was off and wouldnt you know it someone puts a stand up 30yrd from mine[:@]......................... It really makes one mad that they'd do something like that so a bit of scouting and finally the next day i found the tresppaser and lets just say i think he visits this board, next time the owners will be with me along with the police.......My one spot and people have to concideration for others ask first.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Public Lands belong to everybody......You have just as much right as they do....
This happens all the time....
Old 03-19-2007, 05:14 AM

Thanks for the imput so far. I do wear orange and even turkey hunting my vest has orange tags that come out of a pocket in the back.

I would certainly be apologetic and move elswhere and forgiving if anyone came in my spot.

I do look for stands during scouting. However, we are not allowed to leave stands up and unattendedon public land here in New Hampshire, so you don't see them until the morning of. Unless of course it is on private land. In NH you can hunt private land that is not posted (example Timber Company Lands).

Old 03-19-2007, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

About all you can do is back out the way you came quietly and quickly to leave the area as undisturbed as possible.

It happens on public land, just the price you pay.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:27 AM

It happens all the time to me,I don't even think about it anymore.It's nothing to get upset about ,if you are there 1st. just wave and smile ,the other fellow will leave,If you are 2nd just wave smile and leave,nothing to be concerned about.

[/align]
Old 03-19-2007, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's happened a few times to me. Both where I had someone walk in on me and I did the same to someone else. It's public land so you can't help it sometimes. I just give them a wave and try to move out the same way I came in. Not much else you can do. I've never had anyone get upset nor I have I gotton upset. It's not worth letting it bother you.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I try to get out real early. Usually a couple of hours befor sun up. Most of the time I'm in the woods while others are still having their coffee. But if it happens then just tip the hat, back out and be there earlier next morning.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you can hunt people's private land just because there isn't a no hunting sign on it in New Hampshire then that is one of the stupidest laws I have ever heard. The law should be that you can hunt private land IF YOU HAVE WRITTEN PERMISSION. Otherwise you are tresspassing.

Quick Reply: Other Hunters a big concern

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.