Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

qdm

Old 03-18-2007, 09:56 AM

Default qdm

i hunt in a group of 3 in central wisconsin all of the neighbors pratice qdm. one other guy and me pass up small bucks on a regular basis. we've tried several times to get the 3rd guy to pass up the smaller bucks and shoot a big doe for meat. he is in his 30's and still thinks that hunting is a free for all and u blast what ever comes by. with us trying to pratice qdm and him blasting whatever comes by what is the best way to convince him not shoot 2 little bucks each year.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: qdm

Who's land are you on????
Old 03-18-2007, 03:27 PM

Let him do what he wants, if he's having a good time you have no right to tell him to change what he's doing.

Unless of course, you own the land.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

The camp up the road from us shoot anthing as long as it is legal. I think that is good, but they shoot a lot of bucks that are small 1.5 an 2.5 yoa. The racks are all 8 to 12 inches wide an just have that young deer look. There is about 15 hunters in that camp an they tag at every year by the end of Nov.
We do QDM too an we still fare fairly well during the season. I thinkthat is fine, but it would be much better if they did QDM also.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

adewilde, it's good that two of the three of your group is practicing a part of qdm. When folks see the term "qdm" they immediately think of the QDMA(Quality Deer Management Association.) Below I've copied the QDMA's definition of qdm from the website, http://www.qdma.com/qdm/,to point out thatshooting mature bucks is one part of qdm.Maybe getting the hunter in your group involved in some of the other parts of qdm would eventually change his practice and still have fun hunting. The QDMA is a great organization. I enjoy being part of it.

What is Quality Deer Management?
Printer FriendlyQuality Deer Management (QDM) is a management philosophy/practice that unites landowners, hunters, and managers in a common goal of producing biologically and socially balanced deer herds within existing environmental, social, and legal constraints. This approach typically involves the protection of young bucks (yearlings and some 2.5 year-olds) combined with an adequate harvest of female deer to maintain a healthy population in balance with existing habitat conditions and landowner desires. This level of deer management involves the production of quality deer (bucks, does, and fawns), quality habitat, quality hunting experiences, and, most importantly, quality hunters.

A successful QDM program requires an increased knowledge of deer biology and active participation in management. This level of involvement extends the role of the hunter from mere consumer to manager. The progression from education to understanding, and finally, to respect; bestows an ethical obligation upon the hunter to practice sound deer management. Consequently, to an increasing number of landowners and hunters, QDM is a desirable alternative to traditional management, which allows the harvest of any legal buck and few, if any, does.

QDM guidelines are formulated according to property-specific objectives, goals, and limitations. Participating hunters enjoy both the tangible and intangible benefits of this approach. Pleasure can be derived from each hunting experience, regardless if a shot is fired. What is important is the chance to harvest a quality buck - an opportunity lacking in many areas under traditional management. When a quality buck is taken on a QDM area, the pride can be shared by all property hunters because it was they who produced it by allowing it to reach the older age classes which are necessary for large bodies and antlers.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:58 PM

i realize that the passin immature bucks is part of it.the two ofus passed up several smaller bucks and shot3 adult does. the other guy shot2 doe fawns, a buck fawn and a 3 pointer. He kept shooting small deer because he wanted the meat. i can understand shooting a deer for meat i do it all the time but there is a difference between blasting everything that moves and waiting for a mature deer

Old 03-18-2007, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you need to get another person for the 3rd person in your group.