HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Would you ever pick up road kill? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/184627-would-you-ever-pick-up-road-kill.html)

adewilde 03-14-2007 07:43 PM

Would you ever pick up road kill?

With the amount of deer hit by cars would you pick up one that was hit that had good meat?

Rebel Hog 03-14-2007 07:50 PM

RE: Would you ever pick up road kill?

Only after reporting it to aLEO and released to me by aFHP or FGW!:)

retrieverman 03-14-2007 08:13 PM

I travel alot and have hit 7 deer since 2001. That being said, I bring most home if they aren't torn up. Why wouldn't you?

GooseHunter Jr. 03-14-2007 08:22 PM

Yes depending on it's condition.

brushbustin 03-14-2007 08:23 PM

sure i would...Was driving home a week or two ago and saw a real pretty gray fox hit.stoped and looked at it and it had real nice bushy coat on it and was not tore up at all...well to say the least it is at the taxi right now..and i didn't even kill it..

tj_cubin 03-14-2007 08:28 PM

i would if i knew it was hit recently, if i could take it legally.

cardeer used to talk about driving around looking for roadkill, if it was still warm he would take it. i dont see why not for something like a deer. i wouldnt pick up a skunk or coon, at least not for food.

CamoCop 03-14-2007 08:39 PM

our FHP will call me if a deer has been hit in my area. i tell them that if it is still alive when they arrive on scene, i will come and get it. i've also picked up unclaimed cows that have been hit. just because these animals die a different way other than being shot doesn't mean the meat should go to waste.

Rebel Hog 03-14-2007 08:46 PM

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

our FHP will call me if a deer has been hit in my area. i tell them that if it is still alive when they arrive on scene, i will come and get it. i've also picked up unclaimed cows that have been hit. just because these animals die a different way other than being shot doesn't mean the meat should go to waste.
Yeah, but you are a LEO....:D:D:D

uncle matt 03-14-2007 09:02 PM

Oh why yes I would and do! Where do you think I get the venison I give away to the beggars and moochers?

sjsfire 03-15-2007 06:33 AM

I put no simply because the ones I've come across are either too tore up or bloated. Now if I seen the deer get hit I'd pick it up, and go through the proper channels. We have to contact IDNR.