Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scope Size

Old 03-30-2007, 11:53 AM

Default RE: Scope Size

ORIGINAL: younggun243

Like I said, it's a scope manufactured by Bushnell, "Shooter's Edge" is the name of the company, and the guy at the store said that it's right under the Bushnell Elite as far as quality is concerned, but above the other, regular Bushnell scopes.

IMO, you need to not make such poorly-thought throughcomments, saying that your opinion is good enough to be worshipped, because it's the truth.
My scope matches in no way, your de-romanticizing "novel"of the 50mm scopes.

You should've said it's just your opinion, not go through 27 words to say what you wrote was the Bible, and in making these mistakes you've proven nothing but incompetence.
If you paid $100 bucks for a scope from a retail sporting goods store I highly doubt the quality is the same as a scope that cost more than twice that. I don't care what the guy behind the counter said. I'm glad in your limited experience you think it looks good and it has held up. I have had 30 dollar scopes hold up on 30-06's before, it happens. I wouldn't go out and suggest one to someone though.

I'm not going to argue with you on this anymore, you gave your opinion, I gave mine. I think people get it. I was simply trying to educate you on how optics really work, if you don't care then I don't either.

However if you are going to slam me in an open forum on my knowledge of optics and the shooting sports why don't you tell all of us how old you are and what sort of experience you have in the shooting industry. I would be willing to bet both numbers are pretty low. At least from reading your posts that is what I get out of it.

What I stated in previous threads is based on a fair amount of research and years of actual experience. Not what some guy behind the counter of my local sporting goods store told me. If you want to be taken serious I would not come on here telling someone they don't know what they are talking about when the majority of knowledgeable shooters will agree with them. It just makes you look immature and ignorant.

And if you don't like my opinions or long posts then don't read them, pretty simple actually. I'm not going to apologize for being able to type well.

Paul
Old 03-30-2007, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

Thisseems funny to me, The guywho started this thread, asks which scope to use for deer and yet his ID and the link on his profile lead you to HIS online scope retail store... Kinda makes one wonder just what kind of advice he would be giving out,thatlow end Bushnells are just asclear as aZeiss Conquest??
Old 03-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't neccessarily care if my scope doesn't cost as much as yours, the bottom line is, it works, and it exceeds my, and other people's exoectations, and the best part is, it's practical, no one reallyNEEDS more than the kind of scope I have, IMO, but in gun shopping, it's about what you WANT. I guess too many people have put the "Safety In Numbers" theory to extend to their wallets, but I guess I would feel the same way if it was about a firearm, though I personally don't think scopes need to be very expensive if they work great.

I am growing tired of this pointless arguement, I don't concede, I don't claim victory, I cease my pause my arguement, as I wish thatyou willdo as well.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:51 AM

Younggun243

Do you mind me asking where you got that scope, and are you sure the name of the company is Shooters Edge. I tried to research it and came up with nothing. No optics retailer I can find carries that line of scope, nor is there any information on the web about that company.

If you can get a Bushnell Legend scope for 100 bucks that is a pretty decent deal. I still wouldn't suggest a 50mm scope for deer hunting though. That is just my opinion though.

When I hear $100 scope and 3-9x50 I think BSA, Tasco, low end Bushnell and other not so great brands of optics. And I never said your scope was junk or that it wouldn't work. Don't read things that are not there or put words into my mouth. That drives me crazy. I did sort of imply it though, and I apologize for that. You made a simple statement that a 50mm objective was better than 40mm and explained why that is not always the case.

It wasn't really aimed at you, you just took it that way. Hundreds of people browse these threads without posting. I don't want someone to see that comment and think they can go out and get a $100 BSA or Barska with a lot of magnification and a huge objective and think it is as good as a Bushnell Elite, Nikon, Burris or Leupold with a smaller objective and better glass. Because I assure that is not the case.

And I am not saying everyone needs to run out and get a 3 or 4 hundred dollar scope. I don't do that. I have one expensive scope, and it is on a gun that can utilize it. However you can spend a little more sometimes and get a much better scope. Many people fall into this thing where they want a big huge scope with lots of power and cool features, but they don't want to spend a lot of money on it. Not usually the best way to go with optics. When in reality they would be better served spending a few more dollars on a scope with less "coolness" factors but has better optics and less magnification. You know how I know this, because I have done it.

If you can't see the rational behind that I am sorry. But like I said, I am not really writing it for your benefit, I am doing it for the hundred other people that will read this thread and others like it when looking to make a scope purchase.

Paul

Old 03-31-2007, 08:35 AM
Dominant Buck

I like 3 to 9 power with a 40mm objective lens. With 40mm, you can still mount the scope very low over the center of your barrel and be able to clear the bolt handle. I do not like to go larger on the objective lens, because then, you must mount the scope high enough to clear the barrel and that means that you will be unable to get your head tight into the butt stock when sighting. Never mount a scope with any part of the scope touching the barrel of the rifle. A high mounted scope will cause you to lift your cheek to high off the comb of the stock. You should, with a little practice, be able to mount the rifle to your shoulder with your eyes closed and when you open your eyes, you will have a perfect sight picture through the scope. Doing this will also show you how close to your eye you need to move the scope, forward or back in the rings. When hunting, leave the power setting on 3X, in order to be ready for a quick, close shot. When you spot game at a distance, you will usually have time to crank up the power to take advantage of the extra magnification needed for a long shot. 9X should be all that you will ever need for a long shot on deer or larger game.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Too much power can screw you up too. At one time I had a 10X Bushnell Silhouette scope on my 308 for Competition shooting. One year I took it hunting and early the first morning I jumped a nice Mulie Buck out of some cedar trees. I brought the rifle up to aim but at that close range, all I could see was deer hair. I couldn't even tell what part of the deer I was looking at. I had to back off and wait until he was a ways further away before i could get him in the scope. However as mule deer so often do, he stopped about 100 yards out and looked back. I got him. However I never used that scope again for hunting where shots may be close. Thats why I like a 2x7. Even at tree stand range for bear (25-30) yards, the 2X is not to much and 7X is usually enough for deer hunting. I can live with a 3X9X 40 as an all around scope.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

To me it depends on what type of country you are hunting in.My three scoped rifles are using a Leuopold Varix III in a 2.5 to 10,a Zeiss conquest in 3x9 and a Bushnell Elite 3200 in a 2x7.It is rare for me to move them off the lowest settings,unless I am sitting on a big clear cut.When I throw one of my rifles to my shoulder I want to be able to pick up the animal as quickly as possible and the lower magnification enables that to happen.Your sight picture on longer shots will be steadier also the lower the magnification you are able to use.
The bottom line is to do what works for you and that you are confidant and comfortable with.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

What do you all think about the tasco world class ?
Old 04-02-2007, 08:30 AM

ORIGINAL: scopestop

I was wondering what size of scope I should use for hunting whitetail deer...
As others have already mentioned, 3x9x32 or 3x9x40is a very popular scope size. With that said I do not have a scope fitting those specs. I have a 2x7x32 nikon prostaff for my ML, a 4x12 bushnell elite 3200 on my .300 win mag, anold 4x janson on my old .303 and 1.5x4.5 bushnell banner on my .30-.30. I also have a 3x10x44 simmons taking up space in the gun locker as well.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:40 AM
Typical Buck

I just found out that BSA Optics is going to be releasing a "Sweet" series for a multiple of rifles. Currently they only have the .17 HMR but I believe they are going to have a 270, 300, and 30-06 in the sweet series. From the website: "Especially Designed for the .17HMR Bullet. The Technology comes from Tracjectory Compensation Scopes that were Designed for Military Snipers. "

http://www.bsaoptics.com/productlist.asp?ID=20&Cat_Name=sweet17.gif&amp ;Cat_Code=S17&Cat_Type=RFAM

Quick Reply: Scope Size

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.