Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

scouting for whitetail

Old 03-08-2007, 02:49 PM

Default scouting for whitetail

I would like the best time to scout for whitetail.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: scouting for whitetail

It depends on where you live I suppose. Though here where the deer move off their fall range to winter(yard up), the best time for me is prior to spring fully hatching. The leaves are down, the snow is melting and everything is basically as it was during the previous fall (ie:trails, rubs, etc.). I scout year round but this is the best time to get a handle on general movements in a indepth manner without distrubing the area to much.

If I had to pick my next favorite time to be scouting, it is while hunting. I look at this way you have to be in the woods anyway might as well use the time to be more effective. I scout a lot more then I hunt.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:38 PM

I scout all year. . .when I was down in Texas as soon as Deer season ends I go back to the lease and start in on hogs then, Blackbucks, Turkeys, Doves, fillin feeders and heck some weekends just out lettinmy boys be boys.

Now that I am up in Colorado I have already started my scouting for this years hunt in the fall.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Texasimport

heck some weekends just out lettinmy boys be boys.

That'sthe way it should be. You miss Texas or is Colorado filling the void for comming back.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt in Manitoba mostly in large wildlife management areas. Will start my scouting now while their is still some snow on the ground. Will scout until the end of July for bow hunting starts at the end of August.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:15 AM

The best time to start is to never stop, imo. I'll go out to some of the areas I hunted during the season every few weeks to see what's going on. See if different trails are being used, look for sheds in the spring, check to see which watering holes the deer are visiting, etc.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

This time of year is the best time. You've only got 2 weeks before the timber looks like a jungle again!
Old 03-28-2007, 11:04 AM

I vote for all year round when possible. You could also bate them, then they will come to you.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:10 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: cbyers1017

I would like the best time to scout for whitetail.
To be successful in a short window of hunting time, you need to know your deer and deer-hunting area inside and out. You need to locate bedding areas, feeding areas and loafing areas. The best time to accomplish this task, without affecting your future hunting, is after the season and through spring.

Here in Fl that would give them 41/2 months undisturbed untill Archery Season.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:21 AM

Anytime

Quick Reply: scouting for whitetail

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.