HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   scouting for whitetail (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/183773-scouting-whitetail.html)

cbyers1017 03-08-2007 02:49 PM

scouting for whitetail

I would like the best time to scout for whitetail.

skeeter 7MM 03-08-2007 03:14 PM

RE: scouting for whitetail

It depends on where you live I suppose. Though here where the deer move off their fall range to winter(yard up), the best time for me is prior to spring fully hatching. The leaves are down, the snow is melting and everything is basically as it was during the previous fall (ie:trails, rubs, etc.). I scout year round but this is the best time to get a handle on general movements in a indepth manner without distrubing the area to much.

If I had to pick my next favorite time to be scouting, it is while hunting. I look at this way you have to be in the woods anyway might as well use the time to be more effective. I scout a lot more then I hunt.;)

Texasimport 03-08-2007 04:38 PM

I scout all year. . .when I was down in Texas as soon as Deer season ends I go back to the lease and start in on hogs then, Blackbucks, Turkeys, Doves, fillin feeders and heck some weekends just out lettinmy boys be boys.

Now that I am up in Colorado I have already started my scouting for this years hunt in the fall.

TexasOaks 03-08-2007 05:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Texasimport

heck some weekends just out lettinmy boys be boys.

That'sthe way it should be. You miss Texas or is Colorado filling the void for comming back.

whitetaildreamer 03-28-2007 10:13 AM

I hunt in Manitoba mostly in large wildlife management areas. Will start my scouting now while their is still some snow on the ground. Will scout until the end of July for bow hunting starts at the end of August.

Austin/WI 03-28-2007 10:15 AM

The best time to start is to never stop, imo. I'll go out to some of the areas I hunted during the season every few weeks to see what's going on. See if different trails are being used, look for sheds in the spring, check to see which watering holes the deer are visiting, etc.

WKP Todd 03-28-2007 10:50 AM

This time of year is the best time. You've only got 2 weeks before the timber looks like a jungle again!

Red Lion 03-28-2007 11:04 AM

I vote for all year round when possible. You could also bate them, then they will come to you. ;)

Rebel Hog 03-28-2007 11:10 AM

ORIGINAL: cbyers1017

I would like the best time to scout for whitetail.
To be successful in a short window of hunting time, you need to know your deer and deer-hunting area inside and out. You need to locate bedding areas, feeding areas and loafing areas. The best time to accomplish this task, without affecting your future hunting, is after the season and through spring.

Here in Fl that would give them 41/2 months undisturbed untill Archery Season.

thesleepergt 03-28-2007 11:21 AM

Anytime