Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Problem is.... I have to much property. >

Problem is.... I have to much property.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Problem is.... I have to much property.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:44 AM

Default RE: Problem is.... I have to much property.

No such thing as too much huntable acres. On a piece that big, it might be hard to find the best spots, but that's what hunting is about.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

Thank you very much for all the advice.
Here's what i know for sure. Its for Residents of Ontario only. I mean there is no season for a Non-Resident to come and hunt here in this zone.
I'd have you all up in a second. There is a mixture of everything here. Swamp, Cedar, Harwood lots, Ridge's, Corn fields, Soya Bean fields, you name it. But with all this land the deer could be anywhere at any one time. Rattling doesnt work because our doe ratio is out of wak!
I do however have one spot in mind this year to place a trail camera or two. I've taken pictures of MONSTER 160" bucks, and there are several that will go over. I am very greatful for all the advice. What else should i know about hunting this type of land(s). Remember they are all over the place, not just one big tract.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

Key here is to never stop hunting your area... Know the land intimately, bunking, feeding, staging areas etc. I never stop hunting even when deer season is over. Withthe season over and winter coming to an end, now is the time to place mineral blocks out to help your herd get back in shape.

Go shed hunting to get an idea as to what survived the season and winter. Bigger sheds are indicative of older deer. Take notes as to where and when you saw the monster or bachelor groups, does... It's hard to remember details and details will make ya or break ya...
Old 03-06-2007, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you checked out googlemaps? Getting a birdseye view of the properties could be a big help, its helped me before on a new place that was only 100 acres.
If its cultivated and bush and swamps than you definately have funnels, try to find funnels between the really reallythick stuff and the food.
Are there wild turkeys? If so take the course and get out there hunting them in May, the more time you spend out there the better.

Whereabouts in Ontario? I have good places to hunt, but my areas don't sell the additional tags. If yours does maybe I could help you with that buck/doe ratio after I use up my one tag. I work on the road as a field tech so I'm probably familiar with your area.

PS - congrats on the engagement.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

Scout, Scout, and when you think you have done enough, Scout more. Shed hunt in the off season, just get out and hoof it. You can only know so much from maps. Good luck.

P.S I wish I hadyour worries.Lots here that hunt public land here in the east know what I'm saying.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

I'm not complaining, its just i dont know exactly where to start. Its sickning.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think we all wish we had your problem

[/align]
Old 03-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

You start by getting in the woods. You can read every post, every magazine and watch every huntin' video but, nothing replaces or substitutes for the real thing...

Experience in the woods.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:52 PM

I wish I had your problem. If I was you I would get a map of the property and section it off. Learn each section by spending time in the woods and trail cameras. The cameras can be your eyes when your not in the woods. They are a great tool to see how many deer are moving through each section and see the size of the deer on your property. With so much land you could use the wind to tell what section to hunt on that day. Have 2 or 3 stands for each wind direction. Then pick what stand you want to hunt from the amount of deer movement you are getting on your cameras in each section of the woodsand the wind.Hope I could help and I think your hunting property is every hunters dream.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: shwarcher

I am fortunate to hunt family property, no one hunts it but me.
But its tooooooooooo much. I feel like i got to be in two places at once. 4500acres. 5 concession rd's, alot of deer, but always seem to get tag soup!! October 1st to December 31stwe can bow hunt, November 12-19th we can shotgun hunt, but i dont, the neigbours do some damage but not enough to make a difference.

QUESTION: Where do i concentrate my time? at what time of the year?
2007....Its my year, I know it.

Southern, Ontario

I've been Bowhunting for 12 years and my report is 15does 6 bucks.
BUT THERE ARE TONES OF MONSTERS HERE. My biggest is 132"
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

help
i wish i had your problem...lol

concentrate on finding the bedding and feeding area's on your property. once you find these area's, look inbetween them for some type of funnel. this is the area that compresses the deer travel into a small area due to swamp, thickness, overall cover, etc. this is the place to start looking for stand placement.

Quick Reply: Problem is.... I have to much property.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.