Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Game Cameras

Old 12-09-2002, 08:20 PM

Default Game Cameras

I want to buy a game camera but i don't know which to get. i want The Deer cam or the moultie game camera, does anyone have pictures they could post or email me at [email protected], any additional info about them is appriciated.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:36 PM

Default RE: Game Cameras

it depends on how much you want to spend.
I have the Moultrie game cam. it is $98.97 + tax at wal-mart.it works great for the $$$. it does not have a window to tell how many pic's. you have left. it also will take a pic if you open it fast.it takes good clear pic's.

I have no problem with mine.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I make my own digital game cameras with the help of all the guys over at Jesse's Hunting Pages. In my opinion, building one is about the only way to go, especially after I had so much trouble with Moultrie's first model. You can build a 35mm unit very very cheap and a digital can be build cheaper than most commerical 35mm units cost. For me digital is the only way to go.

Either way the choice is yours. If you are interesting buying a commerical unit Jesse has a nice page detailing most of the cameras out there.
http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/cams.html

If you are interested in building your own check out this link and do some searches in the archives and read the pinned topics. Good luck!!
http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/for...4f&act=SF&f=50

Here is a link to my website that shows some of my pictures from my digital game camera. http://www.applebyoutdoors.com

--------------------------------------------
Hunting the Piney Woods of Deep East Texas.
Old 12-10-2002, 05:13 AM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Tex,
What kind of problems did you have with the Moultrie? I got one in late sept and it takes pictures of nothing at different times no animals just of the field. Sent it in and they say they fixed it but the last pictures again the same field.
Rick

Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote.
Old 12-10-2002, 05:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rick I think you can have that problem with about all of them at times. Try mounting your camera facing to the north or south and not into the sun, also try angling the camera down a bit, so it will not pick-up the heat that disipates from the ground over a large area. Make sure that there are no weeds or bushes very close to the camera that might be moving in the wind. I know doing these little things really helped me.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:06 AM

I have had the non-typical for about 2 years now this camera is terrible. It has been back three times to be fixed. Yesterday in the snow there where fresh tracks right in front of it and I looked at the counter and it did not even take any pictures. I change batteries in the camera about every two weeks this camera is not worth $1.00 I would not recommend this to anyone.
Old 12-10-2002, 06:17 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Strut,
When I talked with them on the phone, they said that movement would not set it off. They said that heat only.
Well there is no brush and the only limbs are large and not moving. I dont know but its going back again.
Just looked at the last roll taken and I have 24 of the same picture again.
Rick

Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote.
Old 12-10-2002, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Moultrie I had was the first model they put out, I've had it about 2-3 yrs. I sent it back to Moultrie 3 or 4 times. They were very nice every time and always got the camera back to me very quickly but I still had all kinds of trouble with it. It would totally quit working at times and then it would take a full roll of film one after another, with nothing in the pictures. I also had a terrible time with flash bleed on the pictures. Now that I've build my own cameras, I've found out that flash bleed is the cheapest and easiest thing to fix. My brother had an identical camera and has similar problems.

In my opinion your best bet is to get a high end model like the Camtrakker or to build you own. A 35mm homebrew unit can be build super cheap and super easy but I understand that some folks aren't into building their stuff. Just my 2 cents.

--------------------------------------------
Hunting the Piney Woods of Deep East Texas.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:34 PM

I have been thinking about getting one of these scouting cameras for a year or two...but I decided to wait until they "come out with" digital versions. It seems to me that digital cameras are ideal for remote scouting. No need to burn through film. However...I am not finding anybody (except CamTrakker) who has digital versions...and CamTrakkers version only runs about $1250 bucks!! Digital cameras are running about $200 to $300 for a pretty good one...why would the cost of a digital scouting camera be so much more?? Can't they just switch the camera inserted in the model to a digital one? Also, I have been real leary of how these things will work when it is between 20 and -20 degrees F?? I suspect that there would be problems...batteries, etc.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:43 PM

Hmm I never had problems with Cam-Trackers had them since 98. check out my pics a few threads down.

It's the operator that messes up....not the equipment.Have confidence in yourself and shoot straight.

Quick Reply: Game Cameras

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.