Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Skull Mounts — How Do You Get The Brains Out? >

Skull Mounts — How Do You Get The Brains Out?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Skull Mounts — How Do You Get The Brains Out?

Old 12-07-2002, 09:34 AM
Spike

Default Skull Mounts — How Do You Get The Brains Out?

I've done several European skull mounts, but always struggle with the brains. Got any secrets?
Old 12-07-2002, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Skull Mounts — How Do You Get The Brains Out?

A fast way is to boil the skull. After boiling the brain will fall apart by inserting a long smaller blade knife into the brain through the back of the skull where there is a opening to the brain, use the knife to break up and cut up the brain while it is still inside the skull. Once you have it broken up you can turn the skull over and shake the pieces of the brain out of the hole. I also return it to the water and cook some more it helps to get the pieces floating out of the skull.Keep the antlers out of the boiling water or you may end up with some antler damage. When I bury them I dig them up close to a year later and all of the brain is gone. You can also check into the beetles that you may have a taxidermist that can do this for you.
Old 12-07-2002, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the boiling, pretty much just falls out afterwards.

BTW, it's pretty darn funny that a woman, (lady forge) answered this post first!!!

Screw the 10 ring, keep them in the zero!!!
Old 12-07-2002, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

ive been reading on it myself...boiling it sounds messy and time consuming and can cause damage and color changes none of which i want...leaving them outside turns them white and i dont like white racks unless they are naturally white..next buck i get i am taking the whole skull(my buck the butcher cut out the antlers and i and having bad luck with mounting kits) so next buck i get in taking the hole head..skinning what i can...buying a couple hunder maggots and puting them in a bucket or tank or anything and throwing the head in there and let them eat it...then bleach it and it will be fine...atleast thats what im thinking and hoping...
Old 12-07-2002, 04:03 PM

if you got a good place to keep it for a few weeks let nature take its course and let the bugs have their way with it. remember to keep it far enough away from your casa so the stink don't annoy you. unless it's too cold for flys then buy some maggots as mauser said.

IF IT IS TO BE......
IT IS UP TO ME......
Old 12-07-2002, 04:07 PM
XTP

I did my skull mount last year simply by letting nature do the work for me.Wrap the antlers in black plastic,this keeps them from fading.Cut of as much hide as possible to speed the process,being carefull not to gouge the skull.I then hung it high in a tree away from the trunk so the squirrels couldn't get it.Then sit back and wait.After a few weeks I went back and retrieved it and it was almost finished.A couple more weeks in a pond took care of the rest.One thing though...the water in the pond stained the skull slightly brown,I like the look of it but thats a personal opinion.
Old 12-07-2002, 06:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

thats the problem with using ants...i know they would work good but most deer hunting takes place in the late fall and winter...anyone use the maggots? they dont hurt the bone or antlers or anything do they?

thanx...i think thats the way to do just wanna be safe not sorry that maggots ate my rack or anything..
Old 12-08-2002, 09:17 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-08-2002, 09:39 AM
Spike

Thanks guys.

I'd have to wait 'til Spring to leave it outdoors, and even then it would take too long for me. I know a guy though who built a wire cage just for this purpose. Holes big enough to let the bugs in but keep the mice and squirrels out.

Anyway, I boiled this one. I should let you know that I found a good tool for the job. I got an old steel letter opener with a thin flexible blade. Man, that worked slick! It was narrow enough to fit in the hole and I could bend the end to reach the corners.

Also, I would recommend AGAINST using household bleach to make it white. I tried that once and it looked great, but years later the bone got all flakey. Now I use peroxide diluted in water if it needs to be whitened.
Old 12-08-2002, 08:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

The maggots will work well but the tissues have to be rotten first. Maggots will not eat healthy flesh. One thing you can do is get a drill and a light metal coathanger. Drill about a half inch hole in the bottom of the skull. Insert the coathanger in the skull and let her rip. The hanger should bend up a bit when you start the drill and tear up the brains. I havn't actually tried this, It just came to me. But I think it would work pretty well. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Skull Mounts — How Do You Get The Brains Out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.