Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

[Deleted]

Old 12-06-2002, 06:21 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-07-2002, 08:24 PM

Default RE: Just Getting Started

head shots are a bad choice because of the extremely small target that you have to hit. so dont try it, you miss by a hair and you might spend all day trying to find the animal, neck and spine shots are more popular, and while they are better choices than a head shots they still leave less room for error. take the heart/lung shot and it will allow you to recover the deer 99.9999% of the time. on double lung shots the deer dont usually run too far and some drop on the spot.
nice rifle choice as well, and good luck in your seasons, also practice wuite a bit if you are new to thsi gig, and by a bit i mean a couple hundred rounds if possible.

propmahn
save the world, reload your brass

Old 12-08-2002, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

my fav shots are in the neck and on the sholder some people put in rite behind the shouldar but i like it rite on it because its takes there front legs out from under neath them and they go down faster ive never herd of some one shooting them in the spine i would just think that that would just brake the bone and parylize them not kill them

100%REDNECK
Old 12-08-2002, 12:25 PM

Spine and neck shots don't always kill the deer very quickly and are pretty hard to hit at the right spot... shooting through the lungs/heart are a sure shot, and will cause the deer to usually drop right on spot. Nice gun by the way. Make sure you are sighted in well and good luck!
Old 12-08-2002, 12:34 PM

It's hard to know exactly where the vital organs are on a deer until you've field-dressed one and know firsthand. I think the main reason for heart/lung shot preference is the same as the main reason basketball players prefer layups and dunks over half-court shots. The size of the target area compared to how close you are to the deer is the largest with the heart/lung kill zone. If the heart/lung area is the "broad side of a barn," the head is "a small window adjacent to the broad side" and the spine is "a narrow white stripe painted on the facia boards of the broad side." The heart/lung area gives you the most room for error because of this. If you miss high, you'll still possibly hit the spine, whereas if you aim at the spine or head and miss high, you'll hit the dirt 1/2 mile behind the animal. If you miss left of the heart/lung aiming point, you still have a shot (believe it or not) at the heart. If you miss left of the head, you've shot an air-ball. If you miss right of heart/lung, you've got a shot at the liver, which bleeds heavily when hit. If you miss right of the head, you'll hit in the neck and drop the deer instantly, but this is perhaps the only good "miss" scenario, and most people will miss high and/or low before they miss left/right. Likewise, the spine is the only totally forgiving low-miss aiming point, but there's still good chance of hitting heart/lung even if you aim there and miss low.

Nate