Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

SIGHTING IN

Old 02-10-2007, 08:52 AM

Default RE: SIGHTING IN

Does anyone know if changing your ammo, you would have to sight it in to the ammo? thats what my dad said but i dont know if he's just saying that because he doesnt want to change (he wants us both using the same ammo and i want to change from 130 grains to 150)
Old 02-10-2007, 02:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Riffer

Does anyone know if changing your ammo, you would have to sight it in to the ammo? thats what my dad said but i dont know if he's just saying that because he doesnt want to change (he wants us both using the same ammo and i want to change from 130 grains to 150)
Listen to dad as he has right. Anytime you change be it brand, grains size and even lot# of the same load can have changes in you POI. The only way is to test it and make changes if applicable.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

As far as 180gr/300wsm for 200 yard zero +1.5" at 100 will get you close.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Riffer

Yep, uh huh. You might want to take an index card with you to the range as well. I sighted in a box of Federal 150 grain soft points then tried a box of Federal 150 grain Fusion and those were like 3 inches high and 3 inches off to the right. Keep track of your scope settings and you should be able to test more then one ammoduring one range sitting.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Don Fischer

Try the figures I gave you above, I'll bet they are awful close. With the figure's Winchester gave you, you have a 100 yd zero and50 fps more velocity, that won't make much difference over 300 yds.

The price of that ammo, I sure hope you have a lot of money or are taking up reloading! 30-06 ammo cost's about 1/4 the price and kill's animals only a bit less dead. I hadn't realized that stuff cost that much!

If you can find someone with a cronograph, you'll probally find out the vevocity Winchester gives is not quite right. To many different thing's effecting it.
You were speaking of .30-06 ammo being 1/4 the cost of 300 WSM lead me to this question... I was looking at that balistics chart on the Winchester page and I noticed that with either the Accubond, Ballistic Silvertip, and XP3 barely differ in almost every aspect. Is this really going to make a difference when hunting? It seems like they would all work the same to me? Should I just save $10 and buy the Ballistic Silvertips? My whole idea of using the XP3 was that I could use tem on whitetails and Elk both...
Old 02-10-2007, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: thegamehunter

ORIGINAL: Don Fischer

Try the figures I gave you above, I'll bet they are awful close. With the figure's Winchester gave you, you have a 100 yd zero and50 fps more velocity, that won't make much difference over 300 yds.

The price of that ammo, I sure hope you have a lot of money or are taking up reloading! 30-06 ammo cost's about 1/4 the price and kill's animals only a bit less dead. I hadn't realized that stuff cost that much!

If you can find someone with a cronograph, you'll probally find out the vevocity Winchester gives is not quite right. To many different thing's effecting it.
You were speaking of .30-06 ammo being 1/4 the cost of 300 WSM lead me to this question... I was looking at that balistics chart on the Winchester page and I noticed that with either the Accubond, Ballistic Silvertip, and XP3 barely differ in almost every aspect. Is this really going to make a difference when hunting? It seems like they would all work the same to me? Should I just save $10 and buy the Ballistic Silvertips? My whole idea of using the XP3 was that I could use tem on whitetails and Elk both...
The Ballistic silvertips are a rapid expansion design, intended for deer sized game and longer range. The other 2 are controlled expansion, intended for deer and large game such as elk(also have expansion benefits for longer range due to the polymer tip but being bonded and thicker copper jacket they will retain weight). While they may all look a like they are all different in how they perfrom by virtue of design.

I wouldn't reccomend the BT anything larger then deer, it just isn't built for reliable performance on heavier skinned/boned and muscle animals. For deer it will work fine though.

In terms of the the Accubond; designed to retain 60% of its original mass. I have used it personally for deer, elk and moose, reccomended for such usage.

The XP3 I have not used but based on what I have read it is designed to retain near 90% and is suitable for deer and elk usage.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

where do you get the software for finding out the trajectory and everything? can i get the same software?
Old 02-14-2007, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don Fisher,
I have a couple of questions;
1. How did you figure "max" point blank range?
2. Did you mean to say "zero" or does "point blank zero" actually mean something? As far as I know they are two different things.

I'm not trying to be confrontational, just asking.
KP
Old 02-14-2007, 04:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: huntboy3181

where do you get the software for finding out the trajectory and everything? can i get the same software?
Couple links you can use for online calculators:
http://www.handloads.com/calc/
http://www.biggameinfo.com/

Old 02-14-2007, 04:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

Don Fisher,
I have a couple of questions;
1. How did you figure "max" point blank range?
2. Did you mean to say "zero" or does "point blank zero" actually mean something? As far as I know they are two different things.

I'm not trying to be confrontational, just asking.
KP
MPBR is the area for which one can hold on without compenstation of the site and still be within the targeted area. Typically seen as 6" for deer sized game where the bullets path does not exceed 4" off of centre.

Zero is the point where the bullet pathand line of site intersect.

Quick Reply: SIGHTING IN

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.