Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How could you

Old 02-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default How could you

Where I huntsome hunters that hunt down my direction I refer to as weekend hunters. You've seen them they walk in wearing a brand new set of camo. And can tell in their sees that they look for horns not meat. To me thats not a the thing that bothers me the most. Its after they get their deer, they field dress it and put it in back of a dirty truck or on a front rack with the meat exposed. The thing that bother me and my father is that we told one that if he was going to haul a deer in that way at least buy bags of ice and put it into the open cavity. I wish more people would realize all of the bacteria that is geting into the meat. What do you think.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:11 PM

Default RE: How could you

Unless you get feces into the body cavity, the odds of any dangerous bacteria infiltrating the meat is slim to none. The only bacteria that will get onto the meat are bacteria that live in the air which you breathe in with every breath. If it doesn't make you sick breathing it, odds are eating it won't either.

Also, nearly all meat is frozen at some point. This effectively kills the majority of all bacteria and viruses.

The only time I ever ice pack my deer is if it's going to be a long period of time >3 days until I am going to get it to processing or if the temp is >40 degrees like it was in Iowa this year. I've never had any problems with anyone getting sick from eating professionally processed deer meat.

Long story short, be ticked all you want about the out-of-towners hunting by you, but them driving off with their deer open to the air has as much chance of making them sick as you farting in their general direction.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

We dress them out up here and haul them out and it never hurt any of our. Besides putting them in bags will hold the heat in and ruin the deer meat rather quickly.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I take the live and let live point of view and mind my own business. The world (and this message board) would be better off if more people did the same.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:31 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: djschuett

Long story short, be ticked all you want about the out-of-towners hunting by you, but them driving off with their deer open to the air has as much chance of making them sick as you farting in their general direction.
Yeah, you silly english kinigget...