Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What's your best excuse for missing >

What's your best excuse for missing

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What's your best excuse for missing

Old 01-30-2007, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What's your best excuse for missing

ORIGINAL: Gangly

using a friends gun that wasnt sighted in....
he said it was, i said it wasnt...
we put a paper plate out at 100 yards and put a big black dot in the middle with a marker....
3 shots and he didnt hit the plate once with it...
Not to start anything, but why would anyone take a gun out that they never proved before hunting??

Old 01-30-2007, 12:56 PM

ORIGINAL: farmcntry

we put a paper plate out at 100 yards and put a big black dot in the middle with a marker....
Laziness.

Not to start anything, but why would anyone take a gun out that they never proved before hunting??

Old 01-30-2007, 01:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Mine is usually "Well, I guess I suck."(Add head shake)
Old 01-30-2007, 01:27 PM

well since ive never missed before, i cant say that i have used an excuse. but if i had to, i would just tell the truth
Old 01-30-2007, 01:36 PM
Typical Buck

I am glad you said that before I did. I have never missed with a rifle, YET, but when I do I will think of a doozy. I did however have my black powder miss fire. I didn't have the cap on tight enough. Not sure if it counts as a miss because the gun didn''t go off. I guess that would be an excuse.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:53 PM
Fork Horn

What's the fun in telling the truth. Everyone knows I am just kidding anyway. My brother came up with an good excuse. He said "moon light reflected off of swamp gas...bla...bla...bla". It can be fun to make up something like that. I usually just tell the truth and say "I suck". I can't think of anything original to use as an excuse.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

read below
Old 01-30-2007, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Red Lion

ORIGINAL: farmcntry

Laziness.

Last year I went out of the country to hunt onsome land that a good friend/businessclientleases. He brings his clients out to hunt bird, deer, whatever and so at the end of the year there were some tags left and I got to head out there and hunt I couldnt take my rifle across the border and so I had to use one of the rifles provided(his). Should I have checked to make sure it was sighted in....yes, I should have, but I didnt and that was a mistake that cost me a nice deer.

laziness?.......nope.

The onlygood gun is an accurate gun. Otherwise its nothingmore thana useless noise maker. People should take the time to sight their gun in properly. The ones who dont are hurtingthemselves and potentially their game.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:16 AM

go old school... rip that scope off... go open sights.!
Old 01-31-2007, 10:27 AM

I missed an antelope two times last year at 200 yards. I hit him on the third shot at just over 300. My story was the first two times he was just too close so I shot over him to get him to move. The truth was I was breathing like a race horse from stalking it for 1/2 mile at just over 6000 feet and the outfitter was making me nervous when he kept telling me"you misssed to chamber another round." When I hit the goat at 300+ the outfitter told me "great shot!" Later that same morning I killed 4-5 prarie dogs at 75-125 yards with the same gun. Not the same kind pressure as shooting at the speed goat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.