Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 most shots taken to kill a deer? >

most shots taken to kill a deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

most shots taken to kill a deer?

Old 01-29-2007, 08:22 PM

Default most shots taken to kill a deer?

This past year i have to say i shot the most i have ever shot at a deer.it took me 4 shots taken from 140-320 yards to kill a nice 3x4 blacktail deer. on the 2nd,3rd and 4th shot the buck was hauling but it was sure a trophy so i couldn't pass on the opportunity. surprisingly i hit the deer 3 out of the 4 shots with quality shots but the deer must of been on steroids b/c it wouldn't go down.i would put a pic upbut i dont know how to resize the picture.What is the most shots you have taken to kill a deer?
Old 01-29-2007, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: most shots taken to kill a deer?

One shot....one kill.

I don't pull the trigger unless I'm sure that it is a one shot job. If I can't do it in one...I don't pull the trigger.

I guess thats why I got out of centerfiring hunting and into archery and flintlocks...I only have one shot, so I make sure it will count.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

6 at a white tail at 40yrds! It was my 1st buck and I'd never been that close to a deer before, all were killing shots, I just didn't know any better because he wouldn't drop. I unloaded my 30-30 at him, I found him 50yrds away with alot of wasted meat.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:49 PM
Dominant Buck

When I shoot, ONE!
Old 01-29-2007, 08:53 PM

if you wound an animal you are obligated to take more shots until you bring it down that is all i was doing. i try not to shoot unlessi havea good shot but when you have buck fever it is a little hard to shot as accurate as you want. is kind of funny i can drop a 400lb black bear with one shot at 200yards but it takes multiple shots to kill a blacktail deer. those deer have a way of making be jittery.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:01 PM

I'm a 1 shot 1 kill kind of guy, but if the deer goes down and is suffering, I'll usually put another round in to help finish it off. Not sure if it does any good, but it makes me feel better.

As much as I love hunting, I still don't like to see an animal suffer... unless it's a coyote.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yea we all try for one shot kills, but sometimes they run away and I'm of the thinking that you keep shooting as long as its up and moving.

Sometimes you can flinch on even the "easiest" of shots. To not make follow up shots is irresponsible.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:15 PM

2 shots with ml. One through the heart. Then it tried to get back up so I shot it in the head.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think we all try to take a deer down with one shot. I've been able to do that probably 95%. I will admit there have been a fewtimes that I didn't. I have missed...hitting tree branches. But I think your asking how many times you have had to actually hit the deer before killing it. Three for me, a spine shot that knocked it down, went for a head shot and hit the jaw, and then got a better rest and put one in it's ear to put it down. I applaud everyone here saying one shot, but in my opinion your time is coming. I practice year around and try to take the best shot but we're only human and some of us do make mistakes.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:48 AM

I have only ever needed one shot for those deer I have taken.

Quick Reply: most shots taken to kill a deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.