Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is hunting?

Old 12-03-2002, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default What is hunting?

Is hunting all luck or does it take skill?

My friend says it all is luck I don't beleive him I told him it takes skill to place a stand where you want it and to patern the deer. Tell me and I will tell him what you think.
Old 12-03-2002, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What is hunting?

Luck may put you on deer every year, like does and small bucks. But I would say it takes some skill to put you on the big smart bucks.

But when it comes to the shot, there is no luck involved. You get out of the shot what you put into it. Pracice, Practice and some more practice. The shot is all skill, no luck involved there!!

My Web Page
www.geocities.com/hfpmad

Old 12-03-2002, 03:21 PM

I believe it has to do with a little bit of both. You need to know what to look for, tracks, scrapes, rubs, etc... You need to know how your equipment works, shooting, calls, rattling, how to read maps, etc... Then when you do get your game you need to know what to do with it. With all that said you still rely on a little bit of luck to bring in the big one,and not let the neighbor get it.
Old 12-03-2002, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for responding to my topic. I was wondering if you had to put a percentage on it how much would luck be to Skill.
Old 12-03-2002, 03:58 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-03-2002, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

id agree with 50/50 or so...you gota know where the deer live..eat...sleep..drink...ect..and their escape routes when scared...then its all about being there when they are which is luck...people will tell me both my deer i got in one day is luck...but how can it be luck? last year we seen about 8 deer there before 10 or so and this year we seen about 10 one which is now my buck i got by 915! sure being there at that time is luck but you have to know where they want to be...
Old 12-03-2002, 06:17 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Honna,
After all the practice, field research, doing all the things you can do it all boils down to this.
Being at the right place at the right time with the right equipment.
Rick
If you ever want to see the bigest buck in your life just leave your bow/rifle out of reach and your pants down around your ankles taking a nature call.

Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote.
Old 12-04-2002, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's a little of both. Sometimes you can walk out set in the woods and have the thing be 100% dumb luck. Or you can have all the prep in the world, use woodsmanship anad everything to put yourself into the situation and then it may only be 5% luck.
Old 12-04-2002, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

I think there is a lot of luck involved in hunting but there is also quite a bit of skill involved. I have sat in a deer stand for three days in a row, all day long and not see a buck that was there previously and then my brother comes the next day at 11:00 and sits in my stand and 10 minutes later shoots the buck I've been waiting for. It's happened quite a bit. Stand placement is critical and you have to know how to sit quietly or stalk quietly. There is a lot of skill involved, but I would rather be lucky than good on most days.
Old 12-04-2002, 07:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

To me after 35+ years of hunting I would say it is 75% skill and 25% luck. The more skills you attain over the years increase your chances of getting lucky.

If you only know how to shoot and you walked into the woods cold, sat down and 5 minutes later a monster buck walks right by you and you kill him that is 100% luck, skill increases your chances of being in the right spot at the right time.

There will always be a degree of luck in any hunt though no matter how skilled you are.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club

Quick Reply: What is hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.