Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 what deer for first and what age >

what deer for first and what age

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what deer for first and what age

Old 01-25-2007, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default what deer for first and what age

what do you think should be a kids first deer. doe management buck or muy grande. In my family every one must shoot a doe for their first deer. It shows that you aren't out there for horns but for meat. We also weren't able to hunt until we were able to take the Texas Hunters Safety course. Not to dog anyone but when I see a four year old kid with a monster buck he or she just shot it makes me sick. They will never the trill of seeing a low scoring buck and being able to shoot it. From then on they will just look at the horns of a deer and not the meat that could be eaten by them or donated to Hunters feeding the Hungry. Let me hear your input in this subject.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:06 AM

Default RE: what deer for first and what age

Got my first one this year. Was dying and passed up a few bucks during bow.. Muzzleloader and first shotgun week here. Finally took a doe last Friday of shotgun.

Again, taking a buck would have been great but took a doe to "manage our herd" and put meat in the freezer.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:29 AM

Lets say you're out hunting with your 8 or 9 year old kid, and a bigger deer than you had ever seen walked through the woods offering your child a shot. Would you not be the happiest person in the world after your child harvested such a magnificent animal?? I dont understand how you can ask what SHOULD be their first deer, when you have no way at all of predicting exactly what kind of animal is going to walk through those woods at any given time. I started hunting when I was 9 years old, I shot the first deer that i saw, which happened to be a doe. Shot a little 7 point the next weekend. The next year, only a doe.. but the 3rd year i was hunting with my dad, and I had the opportunity to harvest a nice deer, about 140 b&c.. at 11 years old. My father was more happy for me than I was, and to this day i don't shoot deer i don'tplan to eat,and Ishoot does, andnothing but trophy bucks.If the mentor a young person has teaches them the rights and wrongs of the woods, and an ethical way of hunting it makes no difference what kind of deer they harvest.. and if they dont, then it doesnt matter either way. Maybe you should focus on the life of our heritage, and not somuch the type of deer Joe Blow's son just shot??
Old 01-25-2007, 11:36 AM

I was told to shoot the first legal deer. And to this day, I still preach that of first time/new hunters. It is of my opinion that any club/property guidelines(if in place, meaning antler restricions, not LAW))be put on hold for new hunters untill some expirience is built up. Make sure they can seal the deal, and actually like doing it. Get a few under your belt, then maybe get selective.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I take a lot of kids out for their first deer. They are allowed to take whatever they want, legally.
I wouldn't want to limit them and would rather them make their own decision on what to take.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:45 AM

I agree with farmcntry. It's a personal choice up to the kids on what they shoot or don't shoot. It's thier tag, and its thier choice to pull the trigger or not.

Chief
Old 01-25-2007, 11:59 AM

I got my first one at age 15. I was sitting around tossing down some cold ones with some buddies while we were shooting across a residential road with .300 win mags, saw the little button buck come by and shot him in the left eye from 50 yards.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:02 PM
Typical Buck

I say let the kid/first timer take what ever comes by first and is legal,if they want.My first deer was a spike and i was more happier with that spike than i was this past season killing my best buck a 10pt.and im with TNbowhunter you just dont know what is going to walk through the woods at any given moment.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hog Killer

what do you think should be a kids first deer. doe management buck or muy grande. In my family every one must shoot a doe for their first deer. It shows that you aren't out there for horns but for meat. We also weren't able to hunt until we were able to take the Texas Hunters Safety course. Not to dog anyone but when I see a four year old kid with a monster buck he or she just shot it makes me sick. They will never the trill of seeing a low scoring buck and being able to shoot it. From then on they will just look at the horns of a deer and not the meat that could be eaten by them or donated to Hunters feeding the Hungry. Let me hear your input in this subject.

Have you seen any four year olds hunt? I think that is way too young. I'm sure there are some exceptions as far as age but I would in no way take a kid that young unless I brought a roll of duct tape for his/her mouth, feet, and hands . I'm hoping your just saying that as a example. Come on.... It's their first deer. IMHO take a kid hunting. Let them shoot whatever comes along, button buck, spike, doe, king of the woods, anything. If you try and tell them not to shoot that nice 10pt I feel it might turn them off to hunting. Just my opinion.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:47 PM

You gots to be 12 in MN to hunt deer.

Quick Reply: what deer for first and what age

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.