Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting Ethics?

Old 01-24-2007, 11:07 AM

Default Hunting Ethics?

I know of a guy who recently took a a doe during archery season. The thing is, he was stalking deer and came across a doe and a buck doing the "wild thing". While the buck was on top, he was able to navigate his arrow into the doe, dropping it instantly. I have huge issues with this. Does anyone else think this is unethical?
Old 01-24-2007, 11:12 AM

Default RE: Hunting Ethics?

Well, I would not have taken a shot at either while in the act. I would have waited if undetected and taken one or the other, depending on the tags I had and how good the buck was,after the act. I think that you will have others saying that they would have tried to shoot both of them, let alone one. Kinda like the, "do you shoot a bedded deer" discussion>
Old 01-24-2007, 11:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Perhaps unethical to not let the buck finish, but beyond that i don't have a problem with it compared to the various other strategies used to take deer.[8D]
Old 01-24-2007, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

(Please detect sarcasm)

If there is no law against it, why not? Better yet why not shoot both of them? Shoot the doe first, then while the buck is finishing up, pop him too? Of course that is assuming two a day is legal in the state. People wait all year for the rut, what is the difference between shootingdeer while they are getting ready to "rut" (if you follow me)or after or during, the end result is the same, dead deer. The actual shot could have been unethical if the buck were in the way but if the shooter had a clear shot at the does vitals with no interference from the buck, fire away.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Should have waited until they were done. Just as the buck was lighting her cigarette would have been a better time.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:10 PM

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

(Please detect sarcasm)

If there is no law against it, why not? Better yet why not shoot both of them? Shoot the doe first, then while the buck is finishing up, pop him too? Of course that is assuming two a day is legal in the state. People wait all year for the rut, what is the difference between shootingdeer while they are getting ready to "rut" (if you follow me)or after or during, the end result is the same, dead deer. The actual shot could have been unethical if the buck were in the way but if the shooter had a clear shot at the does vitals with no interference from the buck, fire away.
Soyou are saying that "you" have an ethical issue with it or not?
Old 01-24-2007, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

No ethical issue as long as the shot is clear and legal. I was being sarcastic about shooting both of them. I have never experienced this nor do I expect to (not that much anyway) so I don't really know how I would actually deal with it.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:29 PM

Fair enough. I am sure if I ran across that type of situation and the buck was a book buck, I may be inclined to shoot first and ask questions later. I still would look for a safe shot though.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: dmcguire

I know of a guy who recently took a a doe during archery season. The thing is, he was stalking deer and came across a doe and a buck doing the "wild thing". While the buck was on top, he was able to navigate his arrow into the doe, dropping it instantly. I have huge issues with this. Does anyone else think this is unethical?
Will you shoot a Deer taking a Crap?
Old 01-24-2007, 01:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: dmcguire

Will you shoot a Deer taking a Crap?
@#%% no! I couldn't do that! Itwould be like my wife knocking me offwhile I am on the can!

Quick Reply: Hunting Ethics?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.