HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   deer hunting, would you shoot a coyote (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/176807-deer-hunting-would-you-shoot-coyote.html)

Mihna 01-23-2007 09:16 AM

deer hunting, would you shoot a coyote

im asking if anybody would shoot a coyote in the the deer season, if you have the right to shoot them?

il coyote 01-23-2007 09:25 AM

RE: deer hunting, would you shoot a coyote

Depends. Peak rut, 5 minutes after daylight?? probably not.

But overall, yes, many more times than not. Shooting coyotes or shooting deer is almost a dead heat for me.

HulkHunter 01-23-2007 09:25 AM

In IL you may shoot a coyote during the firearm deer season, but you must put one of your deer tags on it. So therefore I don't think many people do. I know I never have. But this may not mean that guys (or girls) don't shoot them and not tag them cause they don't know the regulation.

demoIL 01-23-2007 09:33 AM

not usually

mtfreezer 01-23-2007 09:33 AM

In rifle season, I don't unless it is in the middle of the day and there is no deer activity. I am just getting into bow hunting so I don't know if I would with a bow. I probably will do the same thing. Not in the morning or evening but will around noon with no deer activity.

130woodman 01-23-2007 09:35 AM

Almost every chance I get.

superstrutter 01-23-2007 09:38 AM

I'll shoot one for sure. Last year I shot a mangy one chasing a fawn.

Hog Killer 01-23-2007 09:38 AM

if a coyote walks out right before I shoot a deer I will turn the gun on it. THe deer will come back but it might not be that day

il coyote 01-23-2007 09:50 AM

In IL you may shoot a coyote during the firearm deer season, but you must put one of your deer tags on it.
It's a deer tag, not a deer/coyote tag. You don't need to tag the coyote, you just must be in possesion of a deer tag and followingblaze orange requirementsto shoot coyotes during the shotgun deer season. This keeps guys from going out with a rifle and no orange,coyote hunting, wink winkduring shotgun deer season.

if you're deer hunting, and want to shoot one, fine, you just can't be out hunting for yotes only.

Copper31 01-23-2007 09:57 AM

Any chance I get. Coyote season is opened all year for us in WI except during the gun deer season. It is treated as a small game

Hiawatha 01-23-2007 10:44 AM

For me it depends on the situation. I would never take one while bowhutning because i would not want to ruin my stand with the blood trail all over the place as well i wouldn't waste an arrow on it. Rifle i have shot some and let others walk. I will not ruin my hunt with a rifle blast over a coyote however if nothing moves at all, or i catch one in the field while i am traveling in the vehicle to my spot he gets the business. Only good coyote is a dead one.

Tuffbroadhead 01-23-2007 10:48 AM

Every chance I get....

kevin1 01-23-2007 11:43 AM

Since our coyote season, believe it or not we have one , coincides with our deer season I'd pop one without hesitation.

White-tail-deer 01-23-2007 12:49 PM

Absolutely!! I did this year on the first day of rifle at about 9:00AM!!

Icetrey 01-23-2007 02:32 PM

It depends, in TX there is no season but if in the rut or early in the hunt no. I had 7 deer about 120 yards away and had a bobcat and a coyote about 50 yards on different sides of me but I turned them down. Not only because I saw deer but because there is a buck on my property whos sheds at 2 1/2 years scored 140 and a perfect 10. Hes 4 now. Think about it.

bobcat07 01-23-2007 02:57 PM

I have no use for coyotes BUT I have found them very handy to sneak up on WT,s. The deer are ocuppiedwatching the coyote that I have gotten within a good shooting distance. Otherwise if Iam in an area where Iam not hunting I will check my rifle out. Love those 300 and 400 yd shots

Phil from Maine 01-23-2007 04:19 PM

Absolutely!! Here there is no closed season on them, and we have no use for them.

bobby23 01-23-2007 05:05 PM

only if i'm bored,ive seen deer(does) run coyotes off a wheat field:same with turkeys, their not scared at all.

bullet_magnet 01-23-2007 05:41 PM

if i see one around the house, bet your ass we've got suspicions that one got one of my cats so if i see a coyote or a fisher cat around here im gonna blast him

Phil from Maine 01-23-2007 05:45 PM

only if i'm bored,ive seen deer(does) run coyotes off a wheat field:same with turkeys, their not scared at all.
Man we wish we had your coyotes as up here the deer is a prime food source for the coyotes. A friend is supposed to e mail me a picture of one he got a couple days ago when he gets a chance. I'll post it here as you would not believe the size of them.

JNTURK 01-23-2007 05:53 PM

yep...no questions asked...where i hunt there are lots of yotes and i have seen them pack and chase the deer herds around...

HunterKel 01-23-2007 06:00 PM

Oh yeah in a heart beat.

tsoc 01-23-2007 07:10 PM

I wouldn't disturb or mess up a bow stand to shoot a coyote.Even rifle hunting I wouldn't want the crack of the rifle to disturb the area I was hunting.

125py 01-23-2007 07:49 PM

ONLY in late season. I am after trophy bucks! You can kill coyotes after deer season...thats just my opinion tho

GregH 01-23-2007 07:53 PM

Yes.

bdog2003 01-23-2007 08:01 PM

I will always shoot the coyote when I see them. Last year I got one between the eyes with my slug gun at 65 yards, he didnt go far !

whitetailcrazy 01-23-2007 09:35 PM

Absolutely with no hesitation............. As for those who think, that by shooting a yote, the blood and scent will mess up your area, your mistaken... Check out the pic below, this young lad took his first yote' just 45 minutes before taking this mid 140" 13 pointer. The buck traveled the same trail, where the coyote had laid dead... I'm not saying that the shot won't disrupt the area temporarily, the scent of the coyote won't. He had 4 other smaller calibur bucks in the area before he shot the one he did, and they too, walked past the coyote!

kwaldeier 01-23-2007 10:23 PM

on a slow day and if the yote is mangy...

Bulzeye 01-23-2007 10:53 PM

Definitely with the bow, but the gun stays quiet until there is a deer in range...unless I'm really really bored. :D

skeeter 7MM 01-23-2007 11:27 PM

I wouldn't shoot one if it would impact my hunt but if the coast is clear that yote is getting heat!

danscott 01-24-2007 06:01 AM

Absolutely. Never miss a chance to drop one.

TNHagies 01-24-2007 06:29 AM

The last time I shot at one was about 10 years ago and as soon as I dropped the hammer I heard a crash in the other direction and turned to see a nice, outside the ears (can't say for sure how big he was) buck leavin'. Never have shot at one again since that.

alsaqr 01-24-2007 06:57 AM

i will kill a coyote any time that i have a chance.

Javabird17 01-24-2007 08:42 AM

depends.. If i saw coyotes first.. I would.. Most likely if yote in area my deer won't be for the rest of my time in stand..

outdoorslover 01-24-2007 11:26 AM

I would any chance I got--which is none so far. I've shot coons and stuff though.

bigpapa 01-24-2007 11:36 AM

I'll try and pop a yote in a heartbeat.

Jackson Bowner 01-24-2007 03:17 PM

I would as long as it wasn't peak rut. I hate the thought of making any noise or leaving scent on the ground (like would be from an arrow you touched). However, I don't want coyotes running free where I hunt. They have all but wiped out the pheasants...puts a damper on turkeys and cause other problems. So I would try to take one out with my bow given the opportunity.

zubba 01-24-2007 03:56 PM

In most cases.....

Sure would...Sure did....awesome European mount now

furgitter 01-24-2007 04:43 PM

Ill kill a coyote anytime,i dont care when it is.I dont like shooting coyotes.I just like seeing them dead.Theyre so pretty that way.

teamster284 01-24-2007 05:07 PM

in ohio it is open season on coyotes. i wouldnt shoot one early in the morning but i have shot coyotes early and then half hour later shot deer from the same stand while the dead coyote is laying 30 yrds away.