Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Human Urine?

Old 01-22-2007, 01:48 PM

Default Human Urine?

There's an old myth that deer will not come into an area that has human urine. I recently read an article that this is not true. In fact, during the rut, it has been proven that urinating on deer scrapes on trees will bring a buck back to the area to check it out. To make sure no one is interfering with their territory. Has anyone else heard of this? Can we finally leave the urine bottles at home?
Old 01-22-2007, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Human Urine?

Here is my experience with human urine. 2002 in Southern Illinois we were hit with about 4+ inches of snow, then sleet, and more snow overnight. Knowing that the deer was probably going to hold up after the storm I went out anyways to my usual spot on the government land in Pope County. I went in and sat all day. When I packed up and was heading out I stopped half way to my truck and couldn't stand it any longer. I heard too pissin in the woods ain't good. I did the deed and walked on to my truck. The only tracks going in and out was what I made. The next morning I went back out to the same spot and there were deer tracks every where I had been the afternoon before and piss spots all around mine. So, I'd say it doesn't matter in my opinion.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:50 PM

I agree that it dosent bother the deer. I seen a example done and they put out human urine, and others kinds.A buck came right in and was sniffing and testing the human pee with his nose in the air and licking his nose, ignoring the others. I go where ever I have too and and doesnt bother them. I can go near a ground blind and they walk right by it
Old 01-22-2007, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have spent a lot of money keeping scent free. I'm not taking any chances I will keep using a bottle to Pee in. Thank you
Old 01-22-2007, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Their have been many articles on this subject and lately the trend is that it doesnt hurt your hunting chances. I say take a pee when you gotta pee. I urinated and about 2 and a half hours later killed a 6 point.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:46 PM

Hey you gotta go you gotta go, i havent found it affects the hunting at all, now other people believe differently and hey let them be me i dont think it bothers them.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my experience, it hasn't bothered them at all.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had more than one deer (bucks included) lick the base of the tree my blind was in not too long after I pissed down the trunk to minimize the noise. I think a humans B.O. may be upsetting to deer but my experience is that urine is not an alarm thing to deer in general.
I'm not an authority, and whether the big smart bucks know the difference or not I cannot say.
But my experience tells me that human urine smell may not be a deal breaker for deer in your area.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:06 PM

well im just gona keep peein in my bottle and play it safe
Old 01-23-2007, 11:00 AM
Typical Buck

One of the TV hunting shows discussed this and inlisted the advice of some type of "scientist, or biologist" he said that chemically there is not a significant difference between the make up of human urine compared to most animals urine. Other then female's in heat type stuff our urine wont smell a lot different then all the other critters that piss in the woods. It is different but a deer couldn't pick it out as being human and not that of an animal He suggested that deer are used to smelling urine and human urine would act as more of a cover scent to cover other odors you might have emitted in the woods that will spook a deer.
On a side note in a biology class I took in college I was taught that chemically sweat and urine are identical and under a microscope you can't tell the difference. They are both the bodies way of elimnating liquid waste. He said this is why the old white shirts of a person that sweats heavily will get yellow stains in the arm pits. Think about that the next time there is some sweat running down your face.

Quick Reply: Human Urine?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.