Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Any suggestions for Freezing Feet in deer stand? >

Any suggestions for Freezing Feet in deer stand?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Any suggestions for Freezing Feet in deer stand?

Old 12-02-2002, 06:19 AM
Typical Buck

Default Any suggestions for Freezing Feet in deer stand?

I purchased a pair of Rocky Snow Stalkers rated for negative 50 degrees and wore a liner sock and a heavy wool sock. I also bought one size larger boot to avoid blood flow restriction. The boot does not have thinsulate, but includes the thick removeable liner and a 9mm felt footbed. I hunted in 30 degree weather and my feet turned numb to the cold (and that isn't very cold weather).

I have a natural tendancy for cold feet so I know the problem is me, but thought others may have suggestions. I remember seeing some battery operated socks (warming element) but they don't seem to be on the market anymore (cabelas, bps). I have used the powdered packets that you shake to activate and they help but are not that convenient. Any ideas.
Old 12-02-2002, 06:42 AM
Banned

Default RE: Any suggestions for Freezing Feet in deer stand?

Well you've already shot down my two ideas. How in the world do you find those foot warmer packets inconvenient. I can see it being so if you are wearing boots that lace up. Myself I use them up here in Canada and I wouldn't use anything else. They're quite portable so I can carry them in with me and put them on when I get to stand. I wear insulated rubber boots, the kind with the insert, so its easy to take off my boot and get a foot warmer in place. I tried putting the foot warmers on before I left the house but the walk causes them to get so hot I had to stop halfway and take them out. But they're nice and toasty and I've never had a prob. with cold since I started using them.

Old 12-02-2002, 06:42 AM

I live in Saskatchewan, Canada, so I think I know about cold and staying warm. There are a few keys to keep your feet warm.
1.Wear a pack boot...those with thick rubber soles and a thick wool liner.
2.both your boots and your feet should be warm before going afield.
3.use foot warmers, I know Cabelas has 20 hour warmers, I have just used the 6 hour ones and they work.
4.Have a plypropelene sock under a wool sock. The poly will wick away any moisture so your feet dont sweat.
5.stand up once in a while in your stand, wiggle your toes
6.have a barrier for your feet to be on, not just the frozen tundra, you can use a foam pad of some kind.

Hope this helps.

Tim

Be a stewart of the outdoors. Help to keep our heritage.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:09 AM

search the internet for those battery operated socks, im sure someone has them

propmahn
save the world, reload your brass

Old 12-02-2002, 08:30 AM

I agree with Saskbucks. But for what its worth, I recently read an article on this in Field & Stream. The guy swore by carrying in a set of boot blankets, and pulling off his hunting boots on stand. Putting a foot warmer in the toe and the heal and sliding on the boot blankets. He claimed that he hadn't had cold feet since. I don't have much of a problem in OK.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:29 AM

For any outdoorsman, doing anything, the best way to keep any part warm is to avoid losing the heat in the first place. Adding more heat (batteries, warm-up-chemical packs, etc.) are all second-choice options. The mistake that many folks make is failing to realize that the body loses most of its head through the head. Circulation is very good in your head because your thinker needs a lot of oxygen and food to do its job. Circulation is not so good in your extremeties (feet, hands). Heat lost through the head translates into cold extremeties very quickly. With all the insulation you're packing around your feet, I can be pretty confident that you're not losing your heat there, but I'd go out on a limb and say that you're not wearing enough on your head, and if we let science do the talking (and why not - it works well in other areas of deer hunting), the best way to keep your feet warm is to pile the insulation on your melon.

Nate
Old 12-02-2002, 12:39 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like your boots are still too tight. Get rid of the heavy wool sock and just wear the polypropelene liner. Let the boot do the insulating and just use the sock to prevent blisters and get rid of sweat. Your toes should be wiggling around very easily. Try using a thin ulti?/ultra?max sock over the liner sock if you must have double sock layer . Just make sure the toes move real easily. All of them should be able to move. From what you describe I don't think it can be anything else. hope it helps.
Old 12-02-2002, 12:46 PM

Put more on your head. You lose a lot of heat through your head and groin area. When your body temp starts going down it naturally restricts blood flow to the extremities. You can help to keep your hands and feet warm by covering your head better.
Old 12-02-2002, 01:21 PM
Typical Buck

A lot of good suggestions. Just to respond to a few questions.

Yes, the boots are Rocky Pac Boots that lace up, that's where the inconvenience comes from.

The boots are size 14 and are huge. I wear a 12-13 in Rocky and purch 14's to make sure they were plenty big.

My head is plenty warm. I purchased a heavy duty thinsulate, rabbit (and who knows what else) hat that keeps my head big time toasty.

The funniest part of this whole thing is, I live in Florida. Maybe that's the problem. Blood is too thin. I go away and see what 29 degrees feels like and think the earth has frozen. Anyway, I believe the problem has more to do with poor circulation. I will need to make better use of the heat packs and get larger ones, made for the feet vs. hands.

Old 12-02-2002, 01:34 PM

First and formost you have to elimanate all moisture.This is almost impossible if you plan on wearing the same boots on stand that you walked to the stand in.Even if you change socks the liners will still be moist from sweat,and once anything on you is wet or moist you know that it doesn't take long to get cold.The solution is to carry your pak boots in with an extra pair of poly propolyne socks and wool socks in your pak.Once you are at your stand site remove your walking boots and wet/moist socks and slip on the dry boots and socks.It may feel very cold at first but they will warm up in no time and keep you on stand for a considerable longer period than anything else we have tried.Someting else that helps alot is to have food in your stomach.A stomach full of food will keep your intestines working which in turn will also keep you warm.Don't forget the liquids,hot chocolate or hot apple cider after an hour in the stand will also warm you up.We sat yesterday morning(-17 c)for just over 3 hours and were no worse for wear(cold yes,frozen no).There was noone else out because they all said it was way TOO COLD.Give these ideas a try,they will work for you(i hope) Bill

Quick Reply: Any suggestions for Freezing Feet in deer stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.