HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Any suggestions for Freezing Feet in deer stand? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/17656-any-suggestions-freezing-feet-deer-stand.html)

thundermug 12-02-2002 02:18 PM

RE: Any suggestions for Freezing Feet in deer stand?

If your feet sweat they will get cold!

If you drive to area you will be hunting wear tennis shoes in the truck. Change socks and boots for the walk in. A foot powder will help also.

FOOLPROOF?
Never underestimate the power of a fool!

What if the "Hokey Pokey" really is what it's all about?

FLSwamphunter 12-02-2002 08:55 PM

I have to agree with Thundermug even if he is an electrician. We thin blooded Floridians have to figure out ways to keep us warm on the occasional cold hunt. I do hunt in lots colder climates than Florida and have serious popsicle toe syndrome. The best method I have ever come up with is foot powder or anti-perspirant (yes the same as you spray under your arms) spray first, then thin socks and then wool socks in an boot where toe wigglin can be accomplished. I never wear a boot that will not breath as my feet will soak a wool sock in a days hunting. Short of anything producing its own heat, this is the best thing I have come up with. And yes its cold in Jax now aint it Mug!!

Indiana Dude 12-02-2002 09:09 PM

My wife bought me some toe warmers called Toasty Toes
at wal mart, they have a stcky side you stick on bottom of sock.
These things work great for me, I just wish they were big
enuff to cover my whole foot.

Deleted User 12-03-2002 11:05 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Tazman 12-03-2002 11:36 AM

The best way I know of freezing feet in a deer stand is to stand in a cooler full of dry ice bare footed!

Sorry I could not resist, listen to the folks up north, it never gets REAL cold here in Va., maybe drops down into the teens or bit lower, nothing like what they get up north though.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club

Back40 12-03-2002 11:36 AM

I use unscented spray on anti perspirant and poly liner for the walk in. Once on my stand I slip on a high grade wool sock. If I where the wool socks to my stand my feet will sweat. The key is to keep your feet dry. I've also tried the Boot Blankets on really frigid days and they do work.

okbwhtr 12-03-2002 09:18 PM

Product from artic shield foot wraps work and work well. they are reasonable priced and garantee keep them puppies warm. Worth the money.

thundermug 12-04-2002 04:11 AM

Dang FLSwamphunter, you're alive!

Yeah, it's cold. low 30's 90% humidity wouldn't be so bad if it were 40% humid.

I'm going to Osceola this Saturday, wanna go? Yeah, I know ain't much there but it beats sitting home. The biologist at Raiford told me he did the track count and said where the highest concentration of deer were.

FOOLPROOF?
Never underestimate the power of a fool!

What if the "Hokey Pokey" really is what it's all about?

Muddyemms 12-04-2002 04:38 AM

Nate and John are right on. I used to work in the "hardening room" of an ice cream maker's freezer, and as long as my head stayed warm and dry, my hands and feet did, as well. I've heard that a human loses 50% of his body heat through their head, and once the brain senses a cooling in it, it will restrict blood flow to other places, in order to keep the brain's temperature up. The first two places to get restricted are the two feet, and the next two are the two hands.

Keep your head warm!

3DNWV 12-04-2002 07:07 AM

I use two things. I use the little through away warms in the toes of my boots and there really great. But this yr I bought a pair of artic boot blankets from cabelas you carry them into your stand and then slide them on over top your boots or you can take your boots off put in the little hand warms and just wear the boot blankets there great. for stand hunting.

3DNWV