Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

45-70 any good for whitetail?

Old 01-16-2007, 05:00 PM

Default 45-70 any good for whitetail?

I am Thinking about buying a new marlin lever action 45-70, i hunt alot but mainly whitetail, so if i buy this gun i want it to do good for deer. thanks
Old 01-16-2007, 05:08 PM

Default RE: 45-70 any good for whitetail?

The 45-70 can be loaded to take any game on this planet. Yes, it is an excellent white tail caliber with the right load.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:11 PM

what would be a good load to us in it for whitetail? thanks
Old 01-16-2007, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe not too much, but definitely more than needed. I have friends that use 45/70 and love it. I have actually toyed with getting one myself. I saw a stainless Marlin Guide Gun in a pawn shop a while back for $465 and am kicking myself for not buying it. When I went back, it was gone. As far as ammo, I would use Hornady LeverEvolutions. I love them in my 30-30.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:44 PM
Fork Horn

The 45-70 is a great deer cartridge. I have excellent results with the Winchester 300 gr JHP. This bullet penetrates to handle shots from any angle.

This bullet punches a big hole, but b/c of the low velocity (1880 fps) there is no shock blood extending from the wound.

The trajectory with this ammo is flat enough, that if you zero it 2" high at 100 yds, it'll still strike home at 200 yds. if you place the crosshairs on the top of a deer's back.

Recoil is mild, about like a 308, but more of a push than a punch.

If you hit the shoulder, the deer will drop on the spot. If you hit the heart or lungs, they will run a short ways, but not far at all, and bleed profusely.

I have a 4x fixed scope on my 1895. It is my 2nd favorite deer rifle. The 308 is my first.

If you get a 45-70 you will be very pleased. It is an awesome deer rifle.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:20 AM

love mine ,,,good woods and swamp gun..lots of blood...
Old 01-17-2007, 06:31 AM
Dominant Buck

If that is your choice, so be it! It's your prerogative!

My friend, a .260 Rem will kill deer all day long!
Old 01-17-2007, 07:21 AM

I have a Marlin 45-70 and believe me it works. Hornady has also come out the the revolution loads for this caliber aloowing you to use pointed bullets safely in a lever gun. These loadings will give you more range than you previously had.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:27 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: scotty51

I have a Marlin 45-70 and believe me it works. Hornady has also come out the the revolution loads for this caliber aloowing you to use pointed bullets safely in a lever gun. These loadings will give you more range than you previously had.
Do you really believe Deer get as big as Bison? Not even in Canada!
Old 01-17-2007, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't own one, and I've never shot one, but I have to disagree about it being "flat" as ths78 suggested. It is heavy and slow, so how would it shoot flat? It looks to me to have similar characteristics as a slug from a shotgun. Not that this presents a problem, but I think there are better choices. But if you want a heavy hitting lever action cowboy gun, go buy it. That is a great reason to own and hunt with one, but the cartridge is limited compared to a lot of others, and you asked.

I love shooting my sks chambered in 7.62x39. I also hunt deer with it on occasion. It is the most inexpensive gun I’ve ever owned. I looks like it was whittled out of a 2x4 by a child, it is short, heavy, under powered, limited range, awful trigger, terrible front iron sight, and rattles like a maraca, but I love it! I love to hunt with it and I love to shoot it. But I do recognize that it is very limited. You need to ask yourself why you want this gun. If it is simply for performance, you’re making a mistake, find another gun to buy. If you’re buying it because you simply like it and want it, and you are able to see that it is limited, but still feel that you must have it – go buy it and enjoy it.

I prefer the 30-06 to any other cartridge, when it comes to rifles. It can be light, fast and flat, and it can also be heavy, slow and arched/limited range. You can hunt any animal in the world with it, no matter what anyone says. I agree that it may not be the best at everything, or anything for that matter, but at least the most versatile. If you can hunt brown bear with a bow, you can hunt elephant with an -06... And one of the best things is that the ammo is in every store, in every location.

Quick Reply: 45-70 any good for whitetail?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.