Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 I thought he made it through?? >

I thought he made it through??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I thought he made it through??

Old 01-14-2007, 10:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default I thought he made it through??

Well the night before last my Dad said he heard cars slow down out infront of his house. He looked, and 2 cars had pulled over. He saidtheywere a truck, and a car. He didn't think anything about it because people spotlight all the time right there. Its a soy bean field. Well he said he went in the other room, and My mom yelled something cracked on the house, and he said no I think that was a gun shot. He looked out the window, and those cars took off. He thought they must of shot and missed something since they left. The field goes back to the woods prolly 400 yards from the road. Well yesterday, I was driving down the road, and see a white belly of a deer laying in the back of the field. He hadn't told me about hearing people shoot yet. I called him and said I think there is a dead deer in the bean field. He called me back on his way to work, and said it is a deer. Well I went, and checked in the evening. It was a buck, but someone had already cut the rack off of it! It was prolly the big 10 point we have been watching there. there were 2 of them that looked excatly alike, and he was the bigger of the 2. We killed the other one in gun season, and it scored 165. We were guessing him to be in the 180's. It looked like a big bodied deer. I'm guessing it was him because we haven't seen him since, and we were seeing him on a regular bases. sorry about the long write, I'm just not too happy right now.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:09 PM

Default RE: I thought he made it through??

Sorry to hear that man. Hope the SOBs get caught.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:11 AM
Typical Buck

This sort of thing unfortunately happens all the time. It amazes me where people will go for bragging rights. These SOB's show up to work saying "look what I got" and then rub it in everyones faces as if they did it legal....... Well I believe we all go to heaven, just different levels and they will be on the bottom cleaning deer sh-- for eternity with those racks they have cut off over the years up their, you know.... LOL
Old 01-15-2007, 07:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dang, if they spotlight all the time I would have done something about it before now. Put a lot of outside lights out with a switch inside, when you see traffic stopped, turn them on. Put a speaker outside and when they stop holler what the he@@ are you doing out there. Hook up a siren. Go outside and confront them. If you can't get help from the game and fish people then do something yourself or they will continue to kill the deer illegally.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

This is unfortunetly the first time this has happened. We have shined a spotlight on them before when they stop to scare them off, but they do it all the time. We just figured after so long of them spotlighting, and not shooting at anything what the heck let them spotlight. We didn't know someone actually had the balls to shoot a big buck right in front of the house. I hope it wasn' the big buck. We haven't seen him since, but you know how the big boys just disappear.here is pictures of the 165 inch we killed, and the other buck was way bigger than this.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

Old 01-15-2007, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

Old 01-15-2007, 03:38 PM

I'm still amazed that shining/spot lighting is still legal anywhere. If it were illegal, it would be much easier to catch poachers.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: _Dan

I'm still amazed that shining/spot lighting is still legal anywhere. If it were illegal, it would be much easier to catch poachers.
Dan-

Spotlighting deer is legal in Indiana. QUALIFIER: As long as you doNOT posess a firearm or other weapon in the vehicle or on your person.

Many deer hunters here use shining legally to locate deer in the evening, just as turkey hunters "put the birds to roost" at nightfall. Just as a means to find a set-up spot the following morning. LEGALLY done it can be an effective scouting tool.

NOW - Shooting a deer while spotlighting in most states is ILLEGAL and needs to be reported and IS indeed a poaching act.

Poachers revolt me.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:43 PM

ORIGINAL: GForce

ORIGINAL: _Dan

Dan-

Spotlighting deer is legal in Indiana. QUALIFIER: As long as you doNOT posess a firearm or other weapon in the vehicle or on your person.

Many deer hunters here use shining legally to locate deer in the evening, just as turkey hunters "put the birds to roost" at nightfall. Just as a means to find a set-up spot the following morning. LEGALLY done it can be an effective scouting tool.

NOW - Shooting a deer while spotlighting in most states is ILLEGAL and needs to be reported and IS indeed a poaching act.

Poachers revolt me.
GForce,I think you misunderstood me a little bit. I know when it is legal and that you can't posess a firearm. My point was that I can't believe that its legal at all, firearm or not.

IMO MANY MANY MANY more poachers would be caught if it was completely illegal.

Quick Reply: I thought he made it through??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.