Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

can i use a slug

Old 01-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default can i use a slug

can i use a sluge in a smooth bore barrel? if i can what slug and what type of choke do i need 2 get. the gun i have is a stoeger model 2000
Old 01-14-2007, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: can i use a slug

Yes you can use slugs. You want a rifled choke tube.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

If a rifle choke tube isn't available or an option than you will want to select Improved Cylinder. You'll want tohe bore as open as possible. The slugs you'll want are the standard Foster type slug like the Winchester Super X. I've seen some folks shoot some impressive groups in the 50 to 75 yard range but I don't suggest shots over that range. Good luck
Old 01-14-2007, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: sniper65

can i use a sluge in a smooth bore barrel? if i can what slug and what type of choke do i need 2 get. the gun i have is a stoeger model 2000
I definetly would not use sluge in your gun, my understanding is that it is not a projectile just a messy blob of goo. You can, however, shoot slugs and preferably rifeled slugs from your smooth bore barrell.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:54 PM

I personally struggle to get any group I'd be comfortable with past 35-40 yards using the foster type slugs in my smooth barrel. That's why I tend to use my shotgun as a last resort for deer.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:31 PM

Ya i use a smooth bore in my Remington 870 and i use a Improved cyclinder, u should use rifled slugs also. the only thing about a smooth bore is that the slug is only accurate to about 35yards but its usually close enough for a shot most of the time.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:16 PM
Fork Horn

For foster style rifled slugs, use an improved cylinder barrel/tube. I have shot fosters through full, modified and IC with no problems.

Shooting foster style slugs through a rifled choke tube doesn't provide better accuracy. If you have a rifled choke tube for your gun, then it makes sense to buy saboted slugs.

I would not spend the extra money to shoot saboted slugs through a smooth bore barrel.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:10 AM
Dominant Buck

I use Fosters in my 20 gage with either a modified or improved cylinder choke, both work well out to 50 yards.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Brenneke slug: Information from Answers.com
Old 01-15-2007, 02:36 PM

For you guys that are only getting 35 yards out of a rifled slug have you tried different brands and loads with different chokes to see what works best? That is pretty poor accuracy even for slug shooting.

Using some clamp on adjustable sights help quite a bit as well.

I seem to have decent luck with modified chokes in my guns, so it is worth a try to see how they do if you have screw in chokes.

Paul

Quick Reply: can i use a slug

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.