Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Automatic feeder?

Old 01-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default Automatic feeder?

Has anybody ever had any luck with an automatic feeder?If so what kind was it and did you kill any good bucks under it and what time did it go off? Basically anything you can tell me will help. Thanks...
Old 01-12-2007, 02:54 PM

Default RE: Automatic feeder?

We use the BA Products (Remington/ Wildgame Innovations) 12V feeder, works season long, goes off whenever we set the time. Has a digital programmer. We set them off to go off 30 mins. after sunrise and an hour before sunset. You can kill just about anything under it. My buck came to it before sunrise. Most larger bucks won't come to the feeders in daylight. We only get pictures of them at night.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

They work great, however you may want to check your state regs, as most are considered baiting and illegal in some states.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had an American Hunter feeder in my backyard. I don't shoot the deer there but it works great.

It came with a 30 gal. drum and held about 200lbs of corn.

Since then I Bought another American Hunter thrower/timer and made a bigger one using a 60 gallon drum. It holds about 400 lbs. of corn now.

It can be set to go off as many times as you want at any hour. The thrower has a adjustment to throw lots of corn or a little.

Its kinda hard to explain on here.

Battery life is great. I got over 2 years out of a 6 volt. When I built the new feeder, I added a remote and a solar charger.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

that's awesome you get deer that close in your back yard without being afraid
Old 01-13-2007, 05:49 PM

Thats awesome that you can get that close to the deer. What a great picture.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:26 PM
Fork Horn

What state do you live in? In iowa feeders are illegal.

They sell them in all of the stores like Cabelas and bass pro though, so people use them for something.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Texas Hog Hunter

We use the BA Products (Remington/ Wildgame Innovations) 12V feeder, works season long, goes off whenever we set the time. Has a digital programmer. We set them off to go off 30 mins. after sunrise and an hour before sunset. You can kill just about anything under it. My buck came to it before sunrise. Most larger bucks won't come to the feeders in daylight. We only get pictures of them at night.
this one didn't seem to mind the light a bit.

he came in daylite one time to many; wouldn't ya say.
just min. befor the shot

I have several feeders that I use.they are all Moultrie ecno feeders.1/2 hr. after daybreak and about 1hr. befor dark.you can set the amount of feed you want it to put out.as you can see in the pic's. the feeder is about 8' in the air.they last for years.we have some that are 8 ; 10 years old.they cost about $30.00 at wally world.get some rechargable batteries and they really spin them; last for several mo's.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:39 PM
Fork Horn

Make your own or buy one. I must tell you that most of the stuff you buy at the larger stores is junk. I have built 30 or so feeders, used lots of different components. You can find several companies in Texas that make quality winch type feeders that hold 400lb. of corn. A good feeder will have a 12 volt Dayton brandmotor, 12volt gell cell battery and a GOOD solar panel, not junk. The timer is the key to everything. You will kick yourself for buying junk when it doen't go off when you go hunting. I personally like the HCR timer the best. It is simple to use and I have seen them used for over five seasons of continuous duty with zero failures. I cannot say that about the store bought timers at the big box stores. All components other than solar panel should be enclosed in a weatherproof control box with only the spinner plate exposed. The solar panel should have armored cable attatching it to the control box. Add a varmit guard to keep the vermin out.Try and googleHCR they sell complete setups. Other manufacturers arewww.outbackfeeders.com, www.atascosawildelifesupply.com, www.texaswildlifesupply.com www.ultramaticfeeders.com