Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Superstition and Hunting

Old 11-29-2002, 08:27 PM

Default Superstition and Hunting

How big a part do you think superstition plays in YOUR hunting season? As for me, superstition does have some merit. Anyone that has any stories they want to share, I'm sure we could all find some sort of meaning in them. Let us all in on your odd/strange tales or coincidences and whether you think they were *coincidence or not*.
Old 11-29-2002, 09:28 PM

Default RE: Superstition and Hunting

I've got one for ya. I have a hat that has a blood stain from the first buck I ever shot. For some reason, I have associated it with being my lucky hat. I have killed deer without it, but I always feel more confident with that hat! My wife just rolls her eyes at me and wished I would get rid of it!
Old 11-29-2002, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have lucky underwear. And a lucky hat.

On my first time bowhunting with other people, we camped at blanton creek wildlife mngmt. area to hunt the weekend. I only saw deer when this one guy drove me to the stand in his truck. (we car pooled to stands). I never did see a deer if I rode with anyone else. The last day I realized this, and he drove me to the stand and I got my first bowkill. Maybe his truck smelled like deer? We said his luck "rubbed off" on me since he was the only one in camp who had gotten a deer up to that point. Other than that there isn't much superstition involved with my deer season.

"Hey ya'll, watch this"
Old 11-29-2002, 10:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Kissing my wife good bye. I relayed a story awhile back about one of my first martial mistakes of deciding not to kiss her good bye in the wee hours before a week long moose hunt...let me just say in about 12 hours whatever humanly possible that could go wrong did. It culminated with me making the 4 hour trek to a pay phone in the middle of the night to say sorry and order some flowers to help appease the situation. It hasn't happened since.

But my true superstition is PBJ sandie's. Last year at our annual deer camp the others talked me out of my PBJ sandies for lunch and we got 1 deer (a doe on the last day). This year I insisted that I have my PBJ's and their was merit to my madness. They decided to play along...ohoh we all tagged out and 2 guys got their career best bucks to date. Guess what is on the menu for next falls lunch...PBJ.

Old 11-30-2002, 03:04 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-30-2002, 06:12 AM
Fork Horn

I've carried a photo of my wife and 3 month old daughter with me each day this season and have seen more deer then ever. Needless to say I have it with me every time I go out now.

MassBowhunter
"Climb Higher, Look Lower, Fall Asleep Less"
Old 12-02-2002, 07:36 AM
Banned

Not sure if it's superstition or not but I think most people have aroutine that they feel comfortable with. Myself, I just have to be wearing this old beat up green jacket whenever I go grouse hunting or fishing or I just don't feel right. And if you feel a little off your game it's bound to impact on your success.

Old 12-02-2002, 09:35 AM

Once in camp waiting for the openner,, I never talk about the buck I am going to shoot. When the banter begins about the big buck everyone is going to get, all I say is I am going to sit all day and enjoy the view! I never talk about the deer I am after.

My buddy got a real good buck last year. When we got to camp on saturday evening, he put up a picture on the wall of that buck and said "I got the boy last year, this year Im going after grandpa!" He went to hang his stand on sunday, scratched his right(shooting) eye, took a trip to the hospital where the doctor told him he couldnt hunt for 2 days! He only saw fawns the rest of the week. Everyone in camp got theyre deer, but him!
Old 12-02-2002, 09:55 AM

I take the antlers from the first deer that i ever shot. They're always with me, plus I can use them for rattling.