Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Want to do something special with my brother. >

Want to do something special with my brother.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Want to do something special with my brother.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:37 PM
Spike

Default Want to do something special with my brother.

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. My brother has had a rough couple of years. He was diagnosed with bone cancer about 2 years ago, and after a couple of surgeries and a round of chemo he's been clean since. Last week he was told that he has bladder cancer, and his doc isn't sure if it's primary bladder cancer, or metastases from his bone cancer. The worst of it is that he is 26 and married with 2 kids.Anyway, he's always wanted to go deer hunting, as have I, but since our Dad isn't a hunter, we never really had the chance. I don't know how many seasons he's got left, so I'm planning on taking him this fall in N. California since we are both residents here.

I've looked at the fish and game website, and would probably like to go in a B zone to make sure that we get tags, but aside from that I really don't know where to start. He's still in pretty good shape, and so I think he should be able to handle the walking. I would love to hire an outfitter, etc. but unfortunately, the money just isn't there. Also, it would be great for it to be successful, but to be honest, it's really about me and him spending some time together out in the woods, and so if we bring something home, that's just gravy.

I guess what I'm looking for is some advice, tips, and some good resources that could improve our odds. Thanks for your help. I have been truly baffled by the experience of the members of the forum. I've learned so much already.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:40 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Want to do something special with my brother.

If you were in Oklahoma I would have the two of you come out with me.

Since you are in California I would call and talk with some of your local bioligists that manage some of your public lands and see if he can be any assistance. Some of them may blow you off, but then you may get lucky and he could help you out. Also talk with some of your local game wardens they may be able to help as well. I know that in oklahoma in the back of the hunting regs that you can pick up at any local sporting goods store there is a list of all of the department bioligists and game wardens.

In the mean time I would go down and pick up two zebco rod and reel combos and head for a lake or a good river and spend some time fishing. Its cheap, easy and it will give the two of you some time to hang out together.

I hope this helps...best of luck to you, your brother and your family's
Old 01-12-2007, 07:33 AM

time with family is priceless,do all you can for your brother , if i had a brother i would book him a elk hunt for he and i no matter the cost.it would be a great memory for you all to share.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:56 AM

You could start by trying to narrow down the area that you want to hunt, and then get into contact with a conservation/DNR or whatever the officerscall themselves in California in order to ask for some advice, suggestions and hot spots to hunt. I have found that they can be very helpful and many end up being hunters as well. Good luck and my best wishes to your brother.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:15 PM
Spike

Thanks so much for the advice so far. I think I have narrowed down the place. My brother's father-in-law has a cabin up at Buck's Lake, and the stats from last year show over 1000 deer harvested from that area. I will see what I can do to get in touch with someone from fish and game from that neck of the woods to see if I can get some more specific info.

Davs, thanks so much for the generous offer. I imagine that any time not spent hunting up there will be spent fishing, something we've been doing together since we were 5 or 6.

If anyone else has some tips for our first time out, I'd love to hear them, for example what kind of gear should I plan on taking, etc. Fortunately for us, my bro's FIL has a 4-wheeler at the cabin, so getting the deer out shouldn't be too tough if we are so lucky to get one.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure if you guys already have rifles or still looking to get them.

I'd advise a 7mm08 and make sure your rifle is zeroed.

Practice enough that if you only get one shot you can make it count. Practice can be fun for you and your brother.

Plan on making several trips, before the season, to do some scouting around that cabin. Check out the food sources in the area. Deer usually head towards the food source later in the day.

Calif. is a long way from PA ( Where I'm from) so I'm not sure what those blacktails eat there

If there are fields in the area, your brother and you might want to watch them some evening to see what you can see before the season.

Just try spending some time there to get a better idea of what the deer do there and when they do it.

I'm not sure if baiting is legal there but it might be an option under the circumstances. Baiting is frowned upon by many, but, I'd think that in this situation, it would be understandable.

Wish I could be more help. I know I'm just covering basics here but I'm not sure of the terrain and food sources in your area.

I wish you guys lots of luck and prayers will be sent your way.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey I admire what you are looking to do for your brother! I hope you have a geat time!