Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Does bad genetics prevent big racks >

Does bad genetics prevent big racks

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Does bad genetics prevent big racks

Old 01-08-2007, 08:26 PM
Spike

Default Does bad genetics prevent big racks

If a deer has bad genetics but lives for a long time does he end up with a "big" ugly rack or does his rack only get so big no matter how long he lives?
Old 01-08-2007, 08:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Does bad genetics prevent big racks

I shot two bucks this season which had very unimpressive racks just because I was going to lose the tags. Both of them wieghed in at almost three hundred pounds. My buddy and I were able to decide that one was 5 or 6 and one was 4 or five.

It must be genetics because such big bodied deer with some 4 - 6 years on them had some of the worst racks I have ever seen. They were definetly sasuage and jerky bucks.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

genetics play somewhat of a role, but there are other factors...if he has bad or good genetics and he lives a long time most deer go through a peek of rack size then the rack will get smaller with age..
Old 01-09-2007, 10:51 AM
Typical Buck

I've been told that most bucks reach their "peak" at arount 4-5 years of age. After that they'll probably taper off and then start to decline, size wise
Old 01-09-2007, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

In order for a buck to have a big rack, he needs three things:
Good genetics
Long life
Good food source

Take any one of those out of the equation and he loses that chance.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Depends on what you consider big for a buck to top out at. Given he best food and long life are all bucks going to hit 180-200" no. BUt I think a good bit would hit 130-140. Maybe a few with crappy rack despite being old. Given decent food, and time to get 4.5 years old I think most bucks would get to be considered "big" in most parts of the country.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:48 PM

It really depends on what part of North America that you are hunting. It is not uncommon to regularly find bucks in Canada going 300-350. I hunt central Minnesota and north central Minnesota. Central Minnesota bucks can regularly field dress out 180-200. North central they seem to more regularly be around 2 bills or larger. Quality of rack is very much dependent on genetics, food and habitat though.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

I hurd that deer peek at 10 years old but most people think 4 or 5
Old 01-09-2007, 03:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Tbone1187

I hurd that deer peek at 10 years old but most people think 4 or 5
same here.

health wise the deer peak at 4 or 5 but rack wise, ive heard and read it just keeps growing despite popular belief. ive heard that up until 8 9 or 10 years of age the rack will keep growing or stay around the same, around 10 or 11 years is where it drops off. just what i read seeing as how ive never done a 12 year study project with multiple bucks.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think diet has a lot to do with it too......

Quick Reply: Does bad genetics prevent big racks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.