Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

[Deleted]

Old 11-28-2002, 12:49 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-28-2002, 01:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Can a deer feel pain like a human?

I doubt if anybody actually knows the answer to your question. I have read somewhere that a deer and other animals do not have the same type of nerve system as a human, but I honestly don't know.

Old 11-28-2002, 02:48 PM

if i was to guess i would say "no"....and the reason is this. have you ever suprised yourself and cut your hand and didn't even know you were cut until you actually saw blood. only after you visually see the cut does it seem that you associate it w/pain. your mind plays a great part in acknowledging pain w/a particular incident and since deer don't have the congnaitve skills required to relate incidents with pain then i would say "no" deer don't feel pain the way we feel pain.

Edited by - nodose on 11/28/2002 15:49:36
Old 11-28-2002, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I read something on this related to african game. The answere is no, deer don't feel pain the way we do. The reason for this is that we have a much more complex nervous system than we do. Our metabolisms or very different too. When some african tribes hunt small game, they use regular old darts or arrows. And they work fine. But if they are hunting monkeys, they have to use poison tipped arrows and darts because the monkey's nervous system is wired differently that other small game. A deer has thicker skin, more solid bone, and is more sturdy than a human frame is. It would only make sence that they would be a little tougher than we are too. Maybe we have an expert here that can elaborate on this more.

"Hey ya'll, watch this"
Old 11-28-2002, 04:22 PM

Im with nodose on this one, the deer just feels a thump and hears a loud bang and runs like satan himself is chasing it. And just because you tracked for 45 min dosent mean the deer took that long to die, if you made a good shoulder shot as you say he didnt suffer so dont worry about it and keep on hunting as long as you feel like you want. There some people who just cant kill something else intentionaly. My grandpa couldnt be he was just as happy as ever for me when i got a deer. So dont feel guilty.
Old 11-28-2002, 09:26 PM

I would have to disagree. If deer didn't feel pain then we wouldn't see them limping. Dogs for sure feel pain and deer are no different than any other animal. I think we would like to think that they don't but in reality I'm sure they feel quite a bit. I have heard does bellow from being wounded and to me that suggests they feel pain.
Old 11-28-2002, 09:57 PM

Well, it all depends on what size gun you use. A 22 cal. probably hurts like a sumomabitch, but on the other hand a 7 mag. just feels like a slight sting.
Old 11-28-2002, 10:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Of course they feel pain. That's how any animal or human knows when to get away from something. They might not have as acute a nervous system as we do but I guarantee you they feel it when they get shot, get into a fight with another deer and get gouged, or anything else they do to themselvs in the course of their lives. Does a dog yelp when you step on it's foot or tail? of course it does. Keep this in mind though, they feel alot less pain then cows and pigs do when they get led into a gait to get their throats cut and bleed to death. Deer also get to live their lives the way they want instead of living in a pen for no other reason but to feed us. Don't let it discourage you though, if we didn't hunt them they would eventually over populate and starve to death. I got a little political here but I wanted to put it in a little perspective.
Old 11-28-2002, 10:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

this kind of post could ruin a kid from hunting..y think about it? if you are a hunter and decided u can take an animal thats great...go out and when the opprotunity arrises take a good clean shot and make sure you do all you can to make a human quick kill...if you are worried about deer feeling pain dont hunt becuase i doubt anyone knows for 100%sure what deer feel or see or taste or smell or anything unless you are a deer and to my knowledge they havent found a talking one yet!
Old 11-28-2002, 10:20 PM
LOA

Of course it would have to feel some pain. Have you ever heard/seen one bawling/screaming after its been shot? I have. It brings a whole new meaning to the way you think about hunting. I know the 2 deer i have seen bawling were in pain, no amount of "facts" would ever prove different to me.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.