Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

buckshot vs slugs

Old 01-03-2007, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: buckshot vs slugs

Hi deerhunter2006...I have...
Old 01-03-2007, 10:56 AM
Dominant Buck

60/40
Old 01-03-2007, 12:29 PM

Buckshot is not an option in OK. It is illegal to possess it while hunting.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:38 PM

There are some counties in North Carolina that you MUST use buckshot if you are shooting from the ground. (Less than 8' off the ground)
Old 01-03-2007, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree - too many hunters think they "Missed" with buck shot when in fact they wounded/crippled the animal.

Almost every single year we see crippled deer or find dead deer with B/S wounds on our farm near property line next to large WMA.This year we found a huge doe with one pellet in gut. Shot on adjacent WMA and made it to our farm and dropped dead.

What a waste and what an idiot that shot her!

Having said that I've taken a few deer over the years with 00 & prefer 000.
It has its place.I have a s/gun used just for buck shot - 28" modified w/rib.Use it only in woods stands where shots are 30-35yrds - maybe 40 at best.Perfect for B/S.

Too many hunters abuse buck shot range by loading a slug 1st and B/S 2nd.Should be the reverse for possible follow up shot w/slug that exceeds B/S range.Then there are the morons who bang away with buck shot thinking they can "Lob In" a few pelletts for the kill = Wouned - Crippled Deer[:'(]

Buck Shot has its place in Deer Hunting - if - used properly at its effective range,and should be patterned BEFORE you go bangin away.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:31 PM

i have always used slugs never buckshot.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Buckshot in Ky will get you a big fat ticket,maybe lose your vehicle and weapon.

This is from a state that allows ANY centerfire rifle to be used for deer as well as no restrictions on poundage for bows.

No thanks to buckshot for me.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:24 PM

Just for my own knowledge, what is the reason behind buckshot being illegal in certain states?? In my state (DE) you can hunt shotgun/muzzleloader, pistol and archery/ but not with a rifle. unless its a .22 for squirrels.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wound rate is too high,people shoot too far and just wound them.

Some states don't allow rifles for safety reasons,conjested,flat open areas is a good way to get someone shot with a rifle.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Slo-Pitch

My $.02

The only reason you should use buckshot is if you are hunting with hounds which isn't done a lot but I know we do it here in Eastern Va and its done some in south fla. and the reason is becauseyou are taking a lot of running shots. And this stuff about 40 yd effective range is BS. We reguarly kill deer out to 100 paces with 00 buckshot. We reguarly miss alot at that range too. If you are going to shoot buckshot then be sure to pattern your gun to see what load it shoots best with which choke ( I am a Winchester 00 Buckshot with modified choke man, and with my 11-87 that puts 15 out of 15 pellets in a 2x2 paper target at 50 yds.)

Also some places allow buckshot but not slugs (like where I live) and other places allow slugs but not buckshot so check out your local regulations.

But in general I would say if you are still hunting use a slug if you are hunting with dogs then use buckshot. If you use buckshot and it patterns well for you thenthe winchester 00 high velocity is a real widow maker, they took 3 pellets out and put in more powder,the only problem is it kills on both ends... my shoulder is killing me.

Good Luck

100 yards?? give me a break!!!

Quick Reply: buckshot vs slugs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.