Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Starting to look for my own land >

Starting to look for my own land

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Starting to look for my own land

Old 01-01-2007, 11:44 AM

Default Starting to look for my own land

Well I've decided to start looking for my own 25-50 acres to hunt. I'm so sick and tired of having to put up with having to hurry up and log into the Fort Hood system and put up with their crap. Sometimes you get a hunt, and sometimes you are out of luck.

Time to own my own little piece of the American dream. I'm planning on starting small (25-50 acres) then slowly progress up in acreage.

Anyone else in ever been in these shoes?[/align]
Old 01-01-2007, 12:01 PM

Default RE: Starting to look for my own land

When you do buy that first piece of ground all else becomes second place .Nothing will give you the freedom that owning you own hunting land.
Good luck and remember some times paying a little more for something you really want is worth it.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

I bought a small piece (8 acres) not for hunting but to build a house on some day. A couple yrs later I bought an adjoining 5.5 acres.
After buying the land I noticed some decent deer sign on the property so I decided to try and hunt it. That was somewhat of a risk because it would mean abandoning my old spot which was good to me, but there were several others hunting the area and I knew if I left it for just a weekend, my spot would be taken over.
Turns out my own land as small as it is, is 10 times better than I`ve ever had!!
Its a really good feeling to hunt something that is YOURS!!!
Old 01-01-2007, 10:36 PM

I went through the same ordeal untill abought 7 years ago .
I had spent a lot of time and effort in scouting and getting stands ready etc..
I finally came to the same conclution.
I bought 80 acers that has woods , fields and a creek .
I love it .
No more worries abought where to go or someone else being in my stand or just walking around and spooking the deer out of the fields or woods .
Its so relaxing and seams more rewarding to harvest a deer offf your own property.
I went 3 years until I shot my first buck .
He was worth waiting for 9 pointer ,21 inch spread , 216 lbs. dressed .
He looked like a horse .
Good luck and enjoy it .
Old 01-02-2007, 04:18 PM

how hard is findng land around there to buy/lease. i have been trying to lease 2-25 acres for a year now and just cant find anyone willing to. i guess its just about getting that one lucky person to let you hunt.i have posted ads online, in hunting stores, sent hundreds of letters to farmers, etcall with no success. i hope someday ifindme some land to lease for hunting, either way, greghollan goood luck
Old 01-03-2007, 02:46 PM

Where are you looking to buy a pice of land?
Old 01-03-2007, 03:04 PM

geturdone, trybrowsing at sites like Landwatch.com, and recreational land.com. If you are just interested in leasing, try contacting lumber companies that own land in the area you wish to lease. I am also in the process of looking for land. I think I'll be ready to buy in 2007-2008, and wanted to get some ideas on per-acre price. Nothing wrong with buying land, any type of land for that matter.

Coincidence I ran across this thread. Now a question for you guys - How much land (acres) do you thinkone personshould be shopping for? How much will accomidate lets say up to 3 hunters?
Old 01-03-2007, 05:03 PM

greg, in 2000 I got lucky and was able to purchase 48 acres in north Missouri. 5 acres tillable, 1 1/2 acre pond and 41 acres m/l acres in oak, ash, maple timber. Got bit with the food plot craze and have planted plots. hung numerous tree stands, had a select cut timber harvest, rebuilt the original lake and made larger, built a 4 acre lake next to it and enjoyed every minute fo it. Have taken deer, turkey and ducks off this land every year. Small tracts of land can be very productive if the location is right. I would do it all again and when my land is paid for I hope to purchase another parcel. It is a great investment. There is no better feeling than putting seeds in the ground, wathcing them grow and harvesting an animal off your own land. I have other buddies places to hunt on also, but I would rather take 1 animal off my place than 3 off theirs. Hope you are able to find a piece of heaven like I have. Antler Addict
Old 01-03-2007, 05:22 PM

Im looking to lease some land to. Im sick and tired of the land I hunt. The other two people that hunt it dont take it serious and it screws up my hunting. So if anyone has land they want to lease in northern indiana send me a pm.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:17 PM

josh - thanks alot buddy. yea like i said i have sent hundreds of letters to farms, homes etc all over this state with nothing, but i havent tried lumber companies - i guess i was thinking that my lousy 750 a year or so wouldnt have much impact on the company, so they wouldnt be itnerested, but i guess if they arent getting any revenue from it, then anythingis better than nothing, especially if they have a problem with deer populations. thanks alot guys

Quick Reply: Starting to look for my own land

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.